Re-building Barn/Workshop...Noob Here! - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2012, 01:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Re-building Barn/Workshop...Noob Here!

Hey guys, im new here so please bare with me...i need to know if anyone can direct me to the right place, where can i find on this site plans on how to build a foundation for a barn/workshop/deck...basically how is the RIGHT way to build...

I tore down our old barn that was falling apart and i saved some wood that was still decent...ran them through my planer and they look real nice....i want to start on the foundation as i leveled all the dirt out with our bobcat and am so eager to do this....i love construction and the good feeling of "i built that"

please let me know where i could start or where to search on this forum if there is a basic outline on how build a workshop...

will post up pics as well once i can find my sd card loader....all help appreciated guys....

Advertisement

Last edited by Justin250; 03-16-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Justin250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,182

Foundations are designed for project at hand--there are several types---

what you need depends on the type of structure and the soil conditions---along with frost levels in your area.

To get the best directions here--

Let us know where you are building--(state and county)

Soil type--(sandy--loam--rocky--wet)

Style and size of the building---

I'm not a foundation guy,but there are a lot of folks here that have built out buildings and can offer up good advice on the best and most economical foundation or slab for your new building---Mike---

Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,614

As Oh'Mike said...lots of varaibles....

Click on the Garag Build link in my signature to see how I built my 'shed'....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #4

thanks for the replies....

im looking into the garage build thread...thank you

and i live in El Dorado Hills CA but if this sets me apart from other styles then i must add that i want to be learning just pretty much all different ways and WHY they are done that way if that makes sense...

i understand that i must follow up with where i live and rules but for now at least as i will not be building up just yet...i still have a few months until im building so that i will know what im doing....

the dirt here is excellent....its soft and dark red...i made a little motocross track that lies in my backyard and the dirt was so easy to work with its amazing...

im still debating size if i want it to be the same size or bigger...

thanks again guys

Last edited by Justin250; 03-16-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:17 AM   #5
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 550
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Actually you need to get yourself some plans for what you want to do. An accessory structure like you want to build is required to be approved by your local Planning and Building Departments.
A good set of plans should be your guide to to how the structure is put together and should last for the rest of your life.

Andy.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #6

well after much visiting with many others...they all said basically the same thing you said here...thay want me to sketch the plan out but to get it approved as well...thank you for warning me ahead of time everyone...

i still need a structure design in mind...can others direct me to either their or others structure buildings? this would very much help me set up a good set of plans and dimensions on how big to make it...

thanks again
Old 03-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 550
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Have you talked to your Planning and Building departments.
They usually have guidelines on what is required for submitting plans. Many time their guidelines are easy enough for a DIY'er to produce the plans for a small accessory structure like this then pull permits. You should find those at the Building Department.
Planning will let you know setbacks form the property lines, building height restrictions (if any) and things like that.

Andy.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #8
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,182

A trip to the library is in order---look in the building section---there are many good boos on basic construction practices---from the foundation types to walls and roofs---DeCristifos Home building was good in my day---out of print by now--but you will find plenty---Mike---
Old 03-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #9

Already got 3 big texts so hopefully this will help me understand more...

thank you again!

Advertisement