Re: Basement Damproofing. To Tar And Dimpleboard, Or Just Dimple And No Tar.. - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

re: basement damproofing. to tar and dimpleboard, or just dimple and no tar..

hello
i am in a bind, (there are workers working outside my house, and i am not good at making quick decicsions)

basically, i have an old 50 year old home with exisiting tar damproofing, that held up not to bad over time, but not great, there is some moisture in the walls sometimes, but never a leak inside.

they are installing dimpleboard on the exterior of the wall to help alliviate a drainage issue in a small area. not all the whole house

they want to put tar on the wall before they install the dimple board for "double protection"

i am concerned about moisture not being able to dry to the inside (double vapour retarder)

QUESTION:
should I let them retar? (they said they may have to void the warranty, which frankly i don't care to much for, because I don't think spot repair can hold up anyway).
it goes against my better judgement but i don't have alot of hands on experience in this area.

-g

Advertisement

Last edited by gramps416; 07-20-2011 at 12:08 PM.
gramps416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

if the existing dampproofing is on the exterior you can re-coat it and it will be fine. I would ask how they plan on termination the sides of the dimple board as a partial job will still be subject to soil infiltration from the sides.

Advertisement

AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #3

so you are saying if they recoat it and have dimpleboard and tar is OK?. there is no issues drying the exterior or interior??

also are old clay weeping tiles layed side by side, maybe with a tiny 1/16" space between each clay tile? (this has to tie into existing clay tiles
Old 07-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #4

Yes, the wall can still dry to the interior...

I'd replace the clay tile with modern perforated pipe with filter fabric as much as you can. The gaps in the clay tile allow silt to enter the pipe and eventually clog. This has happened with my home and now my basement leaks.
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,470

i like building a space for the drainage pipe & lining it w/filter cloth rather than using the 4" ads hdpe pipe w/sock OR the new style styrofoam peanuts in the hair net a belt & suspenders still has advantages imn-s-hfo i wouldn't worry too much about the remaining moisture in the walls as it will find the drier bsmt & evaporate
stadry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #6

great, i will allow the tar application!

also, which way does dimple board installed? is the fabric towards the wall, or facing the backfill? they want to install the fabric touching the backfill and the dimple against the wall. I thought the plastic faced the backfill

Last edited by gramps416; 07-20-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #7

Reference the manufacturer's installation instructions for the proper method of installing your particular product. You should be able to find these instructions on their website. If not, give them a call.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
i like building a space for the drainage pipe & lining it w/filter cloth rather than using the 4" ads hdpe pipe w/sock OR the new style styrofoam peanuts in the hair net
I totally agree...
Old 07-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #9

I read the manufactuer's documents online. the cloth does go on the outside for this product!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc
i like building a space for the drainage pipe & lining it w/filter cloth rather than using the 4" ads hdpe pipe w/sock OR the new style styrofoam peanuts in the hair net
I totally agree...
does the filter cloth (instead of the sock) prevent dirt to gather between the weeping tile and the foundation wall? (is that the reasoning)
Old 07-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #10

The sock is filter cloth. The traditional method is to encapsulate the pipe and surrounding stone with filter fabric. This keep the soil out of the drainage stone and ensures a longer functioning drainage trench. The "socked pipe" puts the filter cloth directly on the pipe leaving the drainage stone open to soil infiltration. Over time the stone becomes inpacted with soil and drains less easily.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,470

a 12' x 12' trench lined w/soil filter cloth would yield 576 square inches of filter per foot while the ' sock ' yields 151 sq inches - all of which allows soil to accumulate closer to the collection/drainage piping,,, this is just the way i do our systems,,, the further soil is kept from the pipe, the better - we also install cleanouts !
stadry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #12

I am concerend about the glue they are going to use. the reason for the concern is (i saw a tube of PL premium on site. the only glue that was on site, and I am concerned from it's plastic melting ability and submersion issue)

what glue can be used on vertical seams of dimpleboard? The manufacture recommends an in-house product, but i wanted to know if there is a third party that will do just fine that I will go and buy myself if i have to.

also, for whatever reason, I noticed that they are not using fasteners to the wall. i was told "the weight of the backfill will hold it in place"
I am concerned about settlement and whatever glue they use will fail. is this normal???

Advertisement

Last edited by gramps416; 07-23-2011 at 06:22 PM.