Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2011, 03:12 PM   #1

Share |

Re-attaching a sink

My sink attaches underneath, as opposed to having a lip which sits on top of counter. The sink detached, on its own - after 8 yrs. Originally they used brass inserts with a screw/wing nut/metal bracket to support the sink under counter - which is NOT Corian [I couldn't afford it then)], but is a slightly lower grade counter, which I see drills sort of like plastic.

I thought using larger inserts in the same holes would work but the insert's slot [for the screwdriver] breaks. Then I tested 2 inserts over night - put into enlarged, over-sized holes filled with Minwax Hi Perf 2-part wood filler. One insert failed. Original setup used 6 inserts. The sink is about 5 lbs.

Please comment on these ideas or offer better ones:

-Set it up with 4 inserts with filler which will stabilize the sink while I look and see if adding some wooden cleats can be done. I may be able to glue/screw wood -to-wood for the cleats.

-Set it up with 6-8 inserts with the filler and pray.

-Drill right thru the sink's lip and into pre-drilled holes in counter, using appropriate [which?] screws.

-As the sink had a layer of vinyl adhesive on its lip for water protection, I wonder if I could replace it with some kind of structural glue [which?]. This glue + 6 inserts might hold.

pmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #2

Re-attaching a sink

when i did my kitchen we got a sink that would undermount, flushmount or even mount sticking up above the counter. i made supports inside the cabinet for the sink to set on. maybe this would work for you. pictures would help. any chance of drilling new holes for inserts?

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote