Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #1

Share |

Rasing rafter ties and Venting Question. Does AtlanticWBConst. Still Frequent?

Curious if AtlanticWBConst. still contributes to this site as he has helped me out before and I have learned alot from reading his previous posts. Anyhow, I started my second floor gut and remodel this week and have post of the demo and clean up completed. I am going to try and post pics as I go for progress and to get some quality advice and direction. I am going to be doing everything myself, except for the electrical, which I may have a buddy do, or I will get some help from the father-in-law, also still up in the air but Iif I go with blue and plaster, i will hire that out, if I go for the drywall, I will tape the seams as I have done it many times. Lastly, I will probably hire a some one to patch the hardwoods and refinish them when the time comes. So basically it is a gut and remodel of a second floor of A Cape. It is not your typical Cape the bathroom is on the first floor and the stair are in back and spiral around. Upstairs are to two bedrooms. So this brings me to my question. the ceiling are low to begin with. There are eave storage space running the length of the house on the fron and the back has a shed dormer. I want to raise the collar ties to gain head room. When I mentioned that to the Building instctor, he said it would not be a problem, but if the where above the 1/3 then I would have to put in a beam. After ripping it apart, It already is fairly high up so I was wondering do I have to put in a beam and what exactly does he mean? What is the best way to raise these, like I mentioned there is a knee wall in the front separating the bedrooms from the eave storage and the back is a shed dormer. I may knick the knee wall back a little to maximize the bedroom space. I also have some questions about venting but I will start with this. Thanks again and I will pics as I go.
Attached Thumbnails
Rasing rafter ties and Venting Question. Does  AtlanticWBConst. Still Frequent?-dsc06580.jpg   Rasing rafter ties and Venting Question. Does  AtlanticWBConst. Still Frequent?-dsc06603.jpg   Rasing rafter ties and Venting Question. Does  AtlanticWBConst. Still Frequent?-dsc06616.jpg  

gregt848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
I have gas!

Maybe I'm mistaken but aren't the collar ties also the floor joists?
What the building inspector was referring to was a ridge beam that you would support independently.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:03 PM   #3

Yup, Atlantic is still on here
Do you have a pic of the collar ties?
Almost looks like some are at 2 different heights in 2 areas

I was under the impression collar ties were supposed to be in top 1/3
Rafter ties in the bottom 1/3...could be wrong

....but maybe not

Quote:
the difference is that a 'Collar Tie' is installed at the TOP 1/3 of the rafter span between the floor joists and ridge, while the 'Rafter Ties' are installed on the bottom 1/3 between the ridge and ceiling/ floor josts.
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:05 PM   #4

Well its the second floor so the collar/rafter ties are put in place to keep the roof/rafters from spreading. Here are some more detailed pics of the ties and roof
Attached Thumbnails
Rasing rafter ties and Venting Question. Does  AtlanticWBConst. Still Frequent?-dsc06620.jpg   Rasing rafter ties and Venting Question. Does  AtlanticWBConst. Still Frequent?-dsc06622.jpg  
Old 09-20-2009, 07:09 PM   #5

Well...looking at the 2nd pic they are as high as they can go since they are up against the ridge board
Old 09-20-2009, 07:10 PM   #6

Thanks Scuba_Dave, right down the street from you in Weymouth. Damn were practically neigbors. I might be confused, they may be collar ties and not rafter ties. Which would lead the BI to be confused too as Ithats how I explained it to him. So can I raise them with no worries?
Old 09-20-2009, 07:14 PM   #7

I have a Cape too, I dormered the back
The front is still a Cape slope & the rafters tie directly into the floor joists etc

In the 2nd pic they can't go any higher - looks like they are touching the ridge board?

Not sure on the 1st pic

Is there some distance between the top of the collar ties & the ridge board ?
Old 09-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #8

The picture is decieving, it is not up against the ridge board there is about 8-10" between them. they are also all the same heights. I know the pics can be tough to tell. Just curious to see what everyone thinks, Atlantic mentioned a while back he does this sort of thing alot so curious to get some feedback. Thanks
Old 09-20-2009, 07:39 PM   #9

Well, the top 1/3 means the top 3rd
No exact location other then that
Old 09-20-2009, 09:23 PM   #10

I won't steal Atlantic's post from him but will give you some reading as many people are still confused about collar and rafter ties:

http://books.google.com/books?id=1fI...20ties&f=false
Be safe, Gary
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:10 PM   #11

Good Information on that site. That makes it sound as though they are the most crucial on the steep sloped roofs, where as I have steep slope on the front and a shed dormer on the back with very little slope at all I wonder if it impacts anything. I think I originally referred to them as rafter ties so maybe that is where the building inspector was getting the below 1/3. Still a little confused as to if I can raise them up to the ridge board without jepeodizing the integrity of the roof. They are already fairly high (about 8-10" from top of collar ties to bottom of ridge beam. The Inspector also mention that I could put a beam in if they were already at the 1/3 height, is that the ridge board already in place?
Old 09-24-2009, 08:46 PM   #12

I agree with you Scuba Dave, I Just was doing some research and I noticed in the ICC 2006 it states, "collar ties to resist wind uplift shall be connected in the upper third of the attic space and be a minimum of 1" X 4"" That is not an specific location and it appears that I should going by this be able to raise them. I want to do the remodel correctly however, so I am planning on giving the inspector a call tomorrow morning.