Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2008, 04:40 PM   #1

Share |
Question

range hood through the wall - - -stud in the way

As a newlywed I have been trying to fix up a 1940's house for the last year and a half. The kitchen is an addition the previous owner put on in the early eighties and had a recirculating range hood. As we finally got married and have new kitchen wares flooding in I decided to take down the old range hood that did nothing to stop the grease from settling on everything and nothing to stop the smoke alarm from going off.

Upon pulling down the old range hood, and prepping the new range hood (knocking out the duct opening in the back) i noticed there is a stud right in the center of the opening behind the stove where the duct would go.

So can I cut through that stud to get the duct through the wall, and then put some bracing between the other studs to support it. If so what would be the best way to do this?

Or is that more trouble than I am thinking, and should I try and run the duct through the cabinet and then out the wall which would mean many elbows and losing some of the little cabinet space we have.

I have included pictures in case that helps.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
range hood through the wall - - -stud in the way-diy_kitchen_range_004.jpg  
Attached Images

pacifier1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:52 PM   #2
Electrician

I know what I would do...

chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:59 PM   #3

What would you do?
Old 10-12-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacifier1er View Post
What would you do?
Cut the stud right out. Your house is not going to fall down.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:29 PM   #5

Do you know if the wall is a load-bearing wall?
dc4nomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:35 PM   #6

I thought all four external walls were load bearing.

As the kitchen is an addition there is no attic for me to look at the joist. I did look under the crawl space and think this wall runs perpendicular to the floor joist.

Thanks
Old 10-12-2008, 06:25 PM   #7

You wanna do it right?

Have you ever put in a header?
Old 10-12-2008, 06:43 PM   #8

Quote:
I thought all four external walls were load bearing.

As the kitchen is an addition there is no attic for me to look at the joist. I did look under the crawl space and think this wall runs perpendicular to the floor joist.

Thanks
Is there anything above the kitchen? They had to of at least extended the roof line or something when they put in the addition, thereby creating somewhat of an attic above...

But you could always just play it safe, and install a header, as Marvin suggested. It would be super easy too since you would only be removing that one stud...

Were you planning on taking the duct up or down once you get it into the wall? Or since that is an exterior wall, are you basically planning on just dumping it straight outside from the opening you cut?
Old 10-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #9

You should not cut the stud out. It would be the easiest thing to do, but if that wall is a bearing wall it needs that stud. If cutting the stud out is necessary, a short 2x6 header would easily take carry the loads down.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:30 PM   #10

I know ( I hear you load and clear) that you do not want to lose any cabinet space. BUT, the header and stud removal, access through the top plate etc. ) will be 7 to 10 times more involved than ducting through the cabinet.

This is time better spent making grand children.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:54 PM   #11

Thanks to everyone for your help so far.

In answer to your questions, if I can figure out the header, I will go straight through the wall.

There is some space above the ceiling, but it is not accessible.

I have never put in a header but I am hoping I can do it myself (I guess that's why I am at the DIY chatroom )

I found this article, http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i.../infrec.html#2 talking about the procedure and I have some 2x6s and 2x4s from earlier projects, so I think it is doable.

I am still a bit worried about the insulation (fiberglass) and also taking down the cabinet to put the header in. Any advice, articles, etc. would be appreciated.

Oh and the grandchildren will hopefully (god willing) come after we get the house fixed up.

Thanks again to all.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:55 PM   #12
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
You should not cut the stud out. It would be the easiest thing to do, but if that wall is a bearing wall it needs that stud. If cutting the stud out is necessary, a short 2x6 header would easily take carry the loads down.
I was waiting for the "Do not cut the stud" comment. Hey thats why I made the comment of " I know what I would do"
Old 10-12-2008, 09:56 PM   #13

Chris you WOOD BUTCHER!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:58 PM   #14
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Chris you WOOD BUTCHER!

I know... hey just for the record, I would only do this to my own house, and not someone else's property, if it makes you feel any better.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for your help so far.

In answer to your questions, if I can figure out the header, I will go straight through the wall.

I have never put in a header but I am hoping I can do it myself (I guess that's why I am at the DIY chatroom )

I found this article, http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i.../infrec.html#2 talking about the procedure and I have some 2x6s and 2x4s from earlier projects, so I think it is doable.

I am still a bit worried about the insulation (fiberglass) and also taking down the cabinet to put the header in. Any advice, articles, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks again to all.
Ok, putting in the header will be a bit of a project, but will be easy. You will have to remove quite a bit of drywall and most likely that wall cabinet directly above the oven. Your proposed opening for the exhaust is pretty close to the underside of that cabinet and the header must go above the exhaust vent.

Basically I would start by breaking out the drywall around the proposed opening and that stud in the middle. You want to break the drywall away all the way to the next closest stud on each side (these will be called your king studs) of the one you want to remove. Also break it away all the way to the floor and about 12 inches above the highest point of your proposed location for the vent.

To construct the header, cut 2 2x6's to fit the width between the two king studs on each side. Nail these together really well with a piece of 3/8" plywood in between.

Mark the height you will want the header...at least a few inches above the top of your exhaust vent. Then cut 4 2x4's to length to fit between the base plate and the bottom of where the header will go. Nail 2 on each side of your opening, right up against your king studs. These 2x4's you just added are called your trimmer studs.

Cut the bottom part of your center stud away so that it will just rest on the header when you put it in - actually make it a tiny bit long so it is really snug.

Now set the header on top of the trimmer studs and beneath whats left of the center stud. Toe nail everything in securely and your done. Of course you've still got to cut the hole for the vent and put the insulation back and put up new drywall and paint...but piece of cake

Oh and don't worry about the fiberglass insulation...just wear gloves and full clothes and a good mask. Close the kitchen off if you can and clean up really well afterwards.

I've never removed a cabinet without destroying it in the process, so maybe somebody else can offer some tips on that.

Oh and you might need to construct a temporary support to hold the weight until you get the header in...but since you are only removing one stud and it will only be unsupported for a few minutes tops, you might be ok without it.

Hope that helps...

Last edited by dc4nomore; 10-12-2008 at 11:11 PM.

Tags
brace, range hood, stud