Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2009, 07:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Ranch to two story-how do they do the tearoff/framing?

I have a ranch that we're hoping to convert to a two story in the next few years and I'm wondering what the procedure is for tearing off the roof and closing everything in afterwards. Is this typically all done in one day? I ask because I was up in my attic looking at the ceiling joists (they're 2x6s and will have to be sistered with larger framing members) and thought about how the job would go once the roof was off. I suppose if necessary we could get by for a day or two with a large tarp (the area would be about 38' x 25') covering the framed/sheathed floor. I would imagine it wouldn't take too much longer to frame and sheath the walls and roof after that. I'm asking more out of curiosity than anything at this point as its a long way off.

Badfish740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:41 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
I'm wondering what the procedure is for tearing off the roof and closing everything in afterwards.
Ayuh,...

It comes Off, board by board,+ goes back up the Same way....

The Time involved depends on the Crew,+ it's size...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #3

Some friends just had this done - actually still ongoing
They have been living in the basement for months
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:28 PM   #4

watch the weather channel ,before starting
butlersprints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:34 PM   #5

ok, on a serious note, Tearing off the old will take the longest, If you had all the new walls already built , & a large experienced crew,you may get walls & trusses set in 1 day, however thats alot of work. take your time and do things right.
butlersprints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:44 PM   #6
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

First it depends on what you have in the attic. nine out of of ten times there are wires running across the ceiling joist leading from the service panel. usually with no slack. when i run into this problem we frame short walls around the perimeter of the first floor and down the bearing wall below and level with each other. what i have found is the center of the house is always lower then the foundation. an example: if you were to install a TJI from outside to outside you will see that it does not touch the center bearing wall, which then has to be shimmed. so to avoid relocating or notching all the electric we build up all the outside walls just enough to clear the top of the ceiling beams. then we install the TJI's. with this procedure you will be gaining an extra step to your stair case. but the advantages is we do not need to remove the insulation and mess with the electric.
we usually have the roof shingles on in 2-3 days depending on the job with no problems, I'll see if I can post a picture, the majority of the times the owners can stay in the house the entire time, unless there is major renovations of the first floor also. BOB
Attached Thumbnails
Ranch to two story-how do they do the tearoff/framing?-garcias-job-005.jpg   Ranch to two story-how do they do the tearoff/framing?-garcias-job-008.jpg   Ranch to two story-how do they do the tearoff/framing?-garcias-job-032.jpg   Ranch to two story-how do they do the tearoff/framing?-garcias-job-011.jpg   Ranch to two story-how do they do the tearoff/framing?-garcias-job-026.jpg  

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:27 PM   #7

depending on size, new layout and crew, you'll be fortunate if they have the new roof on with in 6-8 working days.
II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
...I would imagine it wouldn't take too much longer to frame and sheath the walls and roof after that.....
Oh yeah....piece of cake, weekend project...

Seriously, you are talking about a MAJOR kind of renovation and addition. It's much more complex than adding a room, or area to the side of a home, or putting in dormers.
(It's also a big project, on the second floor. Things take twice as long, once you get over 8').
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:12 PM   #9
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

BTW - Nice pics buletbob, thanks for posting them.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:39 PM   #10

Thanks Atlantic.
And yes II WEEKS all those come into play. This crew has been with me for 5 years, everyone has there own task which they do job to job. they are all orchestrated, if your going down from the second floor you better make sure you are bring something down that is not needed, and bringing something up that will be needed later on. and I must add we work 10hr days until the home owners house is water tight then back to 8 hr days.
Glad they where of some help BOB.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:50 PM   #11

and if you DIY by yourself it takes much longer

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:14 PM   #12

Bob, thanks a lot-that's exactly what I was looking for! Oh and BTW Atlantic, I realize it's more complex than adding a side room, etc...but as per Bob's description I wasn't too far off. I'm certainly not insinuating that I could DIY this thing in a weekend... In any event I think I will pursue the method Bob illustrated because my house is exactly as he described in terms of the electric. Wiring is simply run over ceiling joists everywhere and between that and the insulation it would make for a much longer job. We plan to have all cosmetic changes done to the 1st floor of the house before we even start to expand so basically we'll have the shell of the second floor built on top while we live in the bottom. Once the top is complete we can install the stairs and move up.

Last edited by Badfish740; 01-24-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Badfish740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:25 PM   #13

Glad to be of any help.
Good luck.
Plan the job according to the extended weather for cast. BOB
Old 01-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #14

Buletbob, that's a great way to do it.

Do the "studs" of your short wall sit directly on the double top plate of the first floor wall or do you put a bottom plate for this short wall across the top of the first floor ceiling joists? Seems like the ceiling joists are typically tapered where they bear on the wall so I'm guessing you place the studs directly on the double top plate.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
Bullet Bob, that's a great way to do it.

Do the "studs" of your short wall sit directly on the double top plate of the first floor wall or do you put a bottom plate for this short wall across the top of the first floor ceiling joists? Seems like the ceiling joists are typically tapered where they bear on the wall so I'm guessing you place the studs directly on the double top plate.
Correct! we install the corners first string a line from corner to corner and measure off the existing top plate for the (height) of each stud. by doing it this way you make up the difference of the shrunken headers below.with conventional lumber you have shrinkage and on a header of three feet or more the top plate sags down to rest on the header.
if you were to install your top plates on the tops of the existing ceiling beams you will still have to block under them, because the ceiling beams are chopped at the tops at the pitch of the old roof.
Buy constructing the floor system this way your guaranteed to have straight and flat plates to install your engineered rim joists. and your floor joists will bear directly on your outside & center short walls no shimming.
and it also gives the down stairs that extra sound deaden properties. BOB