Ramp Help - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 508

ramp help

I am having a hard time with this little ramp I am trying to build onto a small deck I just finished on my shed. I have never built anything before and there is a thread about the deck on here. I think my biggest issue is that the ground is going up hill from the ramp and I suck with a circular saw. The small piece on the right is actually the piece I cut off of the longer piece. I think it fits perfect and the other one may just be to long. Those 2 mark how wide the ramp will be for the lawnmower. I will have 3 joists when I figure it out and its about 3.5' wide.

ramp help-forumrunner_20131020_133454.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
ramp help-forumrunner_20131020_133058.jpg   ramp help-forumrunner_20131020_133502.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by nikeman; 10-20-2013 at 01:39 PM.
nikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #2

ramp help

not sure why the upside down picture is there but I can't delete it...

Advertisement

Old 10-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 610

ramp help

Both joist need to be the same length.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #4

ramp help

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Both joist need to be the same length.

Obviously. Lol. The small one on the right was the part I cut off of the one on the left. It just happened to fit there for the width test. I think all the joists will be the length on the right since it turned out pretty good. I might cut it shorter though since there's a tree root right at the end of it of course.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,526

ramp help

Looks like it's time for a little shovel work to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (10-20-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,462

ramp help

I would just go to Harbor Freight or Farm & home store, and purchase Aluminum ramps, that you can store inside, vs. having to figure out the math or scrap a bunch of wood, to try and get it right.

Even just a rectangle piece of Diamond Plate Aluminum with some ribs welded underneath to keep it from flexing, would be better then nothing at all. It would be lighter than using Steel for the ramp.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #7

ramp help

To cut a steep angle like that you have to flip the guard back and hold it or it's going to hang up when making the cut.
With a short board like that it's best to have someone help hold one end to keep it from trying to twist.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #8

ramp help

I have a set of ramps but I'd like something that can stay put so I don't have to drag those heavy things out all the time.

When I do get all the joists cut how do you attach the very bottom piece of decking since the joist is so flat at that point?
Old 10-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

ramp help

You are best to pour a pad where that wood will sit, or place pavers, so that you have something that will stay there. Problem with dirt, it moves, so you will end up a few years down the road, with no soil under that ramp.

As for attaching the ramp to the face of the plate, use Simpson hangers. You should be looking at least 1' for every 3", or 1" for every 16" on the length, depending on how steep you want it.. The length you have, is going to be pretty steep.

I would go at least maybe four feet out, six if you do not want it really steep to go up and down. You would end up hanging the bottom of the mower on the edge where the ramp meets the deck, in that current setup.

See http://www.secrets-of-shed-building.com/shed_ramp.html Something that shows it a little better http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/how-...d-a-shed-ramp/ http://www.doityourself.com/stry/bui...p#.UmRBKfk2Xkg
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 10-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #10

ramp help

Should I just cut 3 4' pieces of the 2x8 and then cut the angles on both ends? This is why I've put the ramp and deck off for over a year.

I still don't get how to attach the bottom decking to the joists since they are so thin and will be sitting on concrete blocks.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

ramp help

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeman View Post
Should I just cut 3 4' pieces of the 2x8 and then cut the angles on both ends? This is why I've put the ramp and deck off for over a year.

I still don't get how to attach the bottom decking to the joists since they are so thin and will be sitting on concrete blocks.
Read through the links I posted, before wasting anymore lumber.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,682

ramp help

build the ramp as if it were an addition to the deck, and how you would like it to look. uild it out far enough so the the top boards , when level, will go right up to the dirt. now, where there is dirt in the way = dig it out. then dig down for some blocks for the end to set on. and dig so there is no dirt close the the joists.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #13

ramp help

I might get this ramp done tomorrow or Friday! Lol. My work schedule sucks. I cut 3 joists and placed them 16" on center and they are about the same width as the mower so I'm going to cut a 4th so I'll have plenty of room on the ramp with the mower.

Weird thing, I cut out all the joists from the first one I cut and used as a template. The first 2 were exactly the same and hit the ground at the same spot but the 3rd one ended up being 2 or 3 inches shorter than the others. Not sure how that happened. Lol.

Apparently my home depot does not carry the stringer hangers so I just used 3 nails and one screw on each side to attach them to the deck joist. I had to take one back off and it was damn near impossible to do without breaking the joist so they are strong.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #14
Retired from the grind

ramp help

You may get that rain by Friday, that just hit our area. So what you may end up with is a mucky mess if it is as bad as what we just got this afternoon. We got at least 1-2" in less than 30 min's in my area.

As for the stringer hangers, go to a real lumber yard, not a DIY Apron store. You might find them at your local Ace Hardware. Our's down the street has them in their stock, since it is the go to place in my area for the state on staff contractors, and city school district. Our Menard's Hardware also carries them as regular stock.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #15

ramp help

A simple L shaped hanger could have been used.

Advertisement