Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Raising sunken porch

Hi all,
I've got a 6' x 3' concrete porch that is covered. Over the years, the edge closest to the front door has sunk ~1 inch. (I've placed a strip of siding in the gap to try to make it less noticable...) I already have holes in the concrete due to termite treatment and I believe I can raise the edge using a couple threaded rods and toggle bolts. My question is, once I get it level again, how do I pump concrete into the other holes to fill the gap underneath? (I've read about "slabjack" systems, but there is not one locally...)

Dshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 94

Raising sunken porch

Only thing to do, is to grind it, or tear it up and redo. The choice is yours.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 198

Raising sunken porch

Easy to see why you had termites in this area. I'd also bet there's plenty of wood rot at the bottom of those side walls and under the doors sill.
I'd check that out first then fix the stoop.
I'd bet no one installed any form of flashing or storm and ice shield behind where that wall and door way is before poring that slab. If there is none on the walls the waters going to continue to wick up the sheathing.
One other way to at least make it work and look better would be to use thin set to make a grade and use floor tiles to cover it up.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
Framing Contractor

Raising sunken porch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dshow View Post
Hi all,
I've got a 6' x 3' concrete porch that is covered. Over the years, the edge closest to the front door has sunk ~1 inch. (I've placed a strip of siding in the gap to try to make it less noticable...) I already have holes in the concrete due to termite treatment and I believe I can raise the edge using a couple threaded rods and toggle bolts. My question is, once I get it level again, how do I pump concrete into the other holes to fill the gap underneath? (I've read about "slabjack" systems, but there is not one locally...)

Maybe you can try a company that does Mudjacking...After you make sure there is not rot.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #5

Raising sunken porch

Thanks for the reply's. This area is covered so it doesn't get wet very often. There were no termite issues in this area and the wood that is exposed does not show any signs of rot, but I'm aware it's slopping the wrong way. Plan B is to replace the slab and obviously repair any damage that is exposed. I just thought this might be a DIY project... What have I got to lose, if it doesn't work, I go to plan B.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 94

Raising sunken porch

I would call a couple of exterminators and see what they would charge to do assessment and make sure that these are not carpenter ants vs. Termites. Either way, they can take care of the problem with the bugs, until you can get the porch fixed.

Can you place a level to show slope of the porch, due to from the pictures, it appears that it is sloping towards the house, not down and away.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 16

Raising sunken porch

The process you are referring to is often called "mudjacking", as others have noted. Essentially the process is to pump low viscosity grout (essentially a form of mortar, no aggregate) through holes in the slab, which lifts the slab back into position. The equipment to do this is relatively expensive, and so far as I know is not generally available for DIY rental, but perhaps there is somewhere in your area that will rent the special pump and mixer. This is such a small project that it probably is not worth the time for a specialty contractor to come in and do it,but you can always call.

If the slab is no longer settling, you can do as previously suggested, namely roughen the surface and apply self levelling cement product to the top. The Thoro Corporation, or SIKA, have such products for sale. Adding a top coat will not address long term settlement, nor will it address termite and other issues, but it will allow you to level the top at relatively low cost.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #8

Raising sunken porch

Due to storm damage, I'm getting all the siding replaced next summer. Just thought I would address this issue before they started. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #9

Raising sunken porch

looks like a fairly small slab. bust it out and try again. thin little bits of surface treatment concrete don't last.
Maybe tiling it might work.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:30 AM   #10

Raising sunken porch

So my question is, how might I pump concrete down the side holes to fill the gap if I use the center holes to lift it up? I was thinking about a modified pump sprayer that doesn't have the fine nozzle at the end? Or maybe just tubs of something that I can use with my hand calk gun, but that would require alot of tubes...
Old 08-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #11

Raising sunken porch

Just thought I would give everyone an update. Actually, this was pretty easy. It had sunken 1 1/2". Half inch holes had already be drilled in the concrete so I was able to pound a concrete anchor in the center one. I attached a threaded rod to the anchor and ran it through a 4x4 that was over the concrete. I just tightened the nut to raise it up. I filled several holes in the back with sand, using compressed air down the holes to hopefully spread the sand in the void. I went through about 75# of sand. Anyway, I'm sure it will settle again, but for <$30, it looks way better than it did!!!

Before:

My setup:

After:
The Following User Says Thank You to Dshow For This Useful Post:
sweetfarm (08-31-2012)
Old 08-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #12

Raising sunken porch

Impressive!

Thanks for the update.
dogris is offline   Reply With Quote