Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #1

Share |

Raising Subfloor Height

Hi, I'm preparing to finish some unfinished space in the second floor of my home. The unfinished space is about 14 x 14 with dormers in the front and back. It has a simple gable roof, so there is a flat ceiling, sloped ceiling, and knee walls. The unfinished space is about 5 inches lower than the floor height in the finished space. I want to bring up the floor height to match the finished space, but I'm not sure about the best way to accomplish this. Currently the room has 1/2 inch plywood over 10 inch joists spaced 16 o.c. I'm not really worried about the load, I'm simply trying to decide how to build up the floor, and how to fasten it. Is it reasonable to build a frame on top of the plywood? Should I run the new supports perpendicular to the floor joists? What is the best way to fasten this? Honestly, since I need to raise the floor up about 4 & 1/3 inches to accommodate 3/4 inch tongue and groove plywood, I just figured I would rip some 2x6's down to size and run these perpendicular to the existing joist but on top of the 1/2 plywood that sits on these currently. (after making sure the plywood was thoroughly screwed down to the existing joists.) I would then sit these 2x6's on their ends and glue them to the floor, and tie them into the walls with nails and maybe some sort of joist hangers? Possibly adding some cross supports. Any thoughts?

(P.S. I have some extra ceiling height, so I'm not worried about raising the floor)

Richmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #2

Raising Subfloor Height

maybe screw 2x4 flat to existing floor deck and screw your new floor joist into the 2x4's side ways, cross bridging is a good idea

just a guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
Mod

Raising Subfloor Height

A picture is worth .....
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #4

Raising Subfloor Height

I'd say run ripped 2x6s diagonally, anchor them with long screws (maybe some landscaping screws), and block or cross brace it in a few spots.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #5

Raising Subfloor Height

Thanks for the responses, just trying to get some different ideas.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #6

Raising Subfloor Height

However you proceed, make sure you use LOTS of construction adhesive or you will have squeaks.
UFoPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #7

Raising Subfloor Height

How did it turn out? I have to do the same thing, and I was wondering what you ended up doing, and if you had any suggestions. Thanks!
tfahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:40 AM   #8

Raising Subfloor Height

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfahlberg View Post
How did it turn out? I have to do the same thing, and I was wondering what you ended up doing, and if you had any suggestions. Thanks!
Actually, I ended up leaving the floor height as is because my wife decided she would prefer to have the additional headroom. Glued and screwed down another layer of plywood and installed prefinished hardwoods. Sorry I can't help you with the subfloor height issue.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #9

Raising Subfloor Height

Thanks Richmond. No worries. I'll figure it out when I get there. I like the idea of a cross or diagonal layer of ripped 2x6s.

tfahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote