Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2014, 02:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Raising Steps- with cinder blocks?

I just bought a mobile home. I had purchased a matching set of steps, but of course they didn't fit perfectly. One set is 8 inches off. I'm trying to find a Very affordable way to raise the steps(purchasing more to pass inspection is not an option.) I have a LOT of cinder blocks. the 8 inch and 4 inch ones. I'm not sure if I can mortar or concrete the 8 inch ones together to make the foundation I need. I have No experience with this but am trying to figure this out, as me and my two toddlers Need a place to live and I'm close to accomplishing this! Should I use 2 layers of the 4 inch and mortar them instead? Is this just not going to work or do I need to concrete a whole 8 inch slab(I hope not but, again, ill do what I need to.) ANY help is appreciated! Thank you

SmoothMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:57 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,340

I believe that will work---you should dig a trench and cast a concrete pad to keep the blocks from sinking into the earth--post up a picture---We'll help---

Old 07-15-2014, 07:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,186

Did you know silicone adhesive sealant does a good job of what you are needing to do. A half dozen beads across the block is sufficient. Do not make a completed circle as this will tend to compress a trapped air pocket.

Clean the blocks well of dust, dirt or debris.

Of course that wouldn't be as much fun as mortar with toddlers helping.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:36 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,954

For this to work long term you would have to dig out and pore a footer for the blocks to sit on so the blocks do not sink or tip. You would need two rows of block, one row would sit below grade.
The inspector if he's doing his job is also going to be looking for graspable hand railings and a landing at the top of the steps.
How deep and wide the footer needs to be would depend on your location
Old 07-15-2014, 07:45 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,186

I seriously doubt if an inspector will be involved. Just a mom with two toddlers needing a way to get in and out of the house until they can better themselves.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:00 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,954

"I just bought a mobile home. I had purchased a matching set of steps, but of course they didn't fit perfectly. One set is 8 inches off. I'm trying to find a Very affordable way to raise the steps purchasing more to pass inspection is not an option."