Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #1

Share |

Raising roof on a pole building

I am looking to buy a pole building to store my camper in. I will be building a house right close to the existing building. Building already has heat and electric. The building is about 40 x 70 with soffit height of 10 feet. I want to know if it is feasible to cut roof steel and lift about 6-7 trusses to make a higher section to back camper into? I would then frame in a new higher door with higher support posts to carry the door end of the trusses. I would also extend the posts on the other side and make new support beams.
Is it do-able or too much work or stucturally unsound. Looking for opinions and or suggestions on how to do it.

bcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:10 PM   #2

sure its doable but ( JUST my $ .03 ) IF you're asking in here, probably not a good diy project,,, see if you can find a good framer who can follow licensed & stamp'd drawings

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #3

I'm a retired Shop teacher and was raised in construction. I was a union carpenter before going back to school to teach shop. Dad was a contractor for 50 years. Don't have him to rely on or bounce questions off of anymore. He would have said here we'll do it like this. I have a pretty good idea of how he would do it. I appreciate you input and honesty. I'm pretty sure I could do it. For sure would need some help and make a plan. I don't really think I would need engineered drawings. I would draw it up myself. Just throwing it out there to see what ideas or info. I could get back. Thanks again.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,.... If it's a Pole barn, How ya gonna extend the poles,..??

Probably cheaper, 'n easier to build an addition the height ya need right in front of what ya got,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:04 PM   #5

You may be right...
Old 02-24-2014, 07:57 PM   #6

When you start raising the roof on a pole barn, you are going to have the building inspector sitting at your door step asking why didn't you get a permit. Just my 2.
landfillwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:11 PM   #7

I would check for permits before starting the work... but it would probably be easier and just as cost effective to build onto the existing build for the camper storage as was suggested previously. But thanks for your input.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:15 PM   #8

Seen it done but I was just driving on a daily basis. They turned a single story pole building into 2 stories for a furniture store.
They jacked the roof up- sistered poles onto the existing ones. Then added a floor.
No doubt it was an engineered project
Old 02-24-2014, 08:40 PM   #9

That would probably be the way I would do it. I would only need to raise about five feet.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:42 AM   #10

I agree that adding on would be more cost effective way to add space to park your camper. By the time you cut everything to raise the roof (plates, poles, perlings, and roofing) you could have the addition framed and ready to roof. You would also know that it would be structurally sound and the roof wouldn't leak.
landfillwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:48 AM   #11

you certainly ought to be sufficiently proficient considering your resume,,, make friends w/your local bldg inspector 1st - its not a major job imn-s-hfo
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:10 AM   #12

After thinking it through. That is a much better idea. That's why nmore heads are better than one. Thanks for all your helpful suggestions.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:11 AM   #13

Building inspector is an old childhood friend. That's a good thing. Not that I would take unsafe shortcuts but just easier to bounce questions off him.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcircus View Post
Building inspector is an old childhood friend. That's a good thing. Not that I would take unsafe shortcuts but just easier to bounce questions off him.

You bet,and he's the man with all the answers.

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote