Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2010, 03:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

raising roof - need some info

Hello,

I have an 1820sq ft single story craftsman style house with crawl space / perimeter foundation built in 1974. The house is in San Mateo, CA.

Assuming that the foundation can support it, 1) can someone give me a ballpark estimate of just raising the roof by 5 ft and putting up the exterior walls?

Also, 2) what kind of contractor(s) do I need to contact to do this and 3) how long will such a project typically take?

Once the roof is raised and exterior walls are setup, I plan to do rest of the interior, electrical, plumping, heating, etc work later on as budget permits.

Thanks,

Albert

albertpinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,132

I am not in the estimating business, for that you would need to ask for an estimate from one or more qualified contractors. A framing contractor or homebuilder would be a good place to start. I am curious why you are raising the walls five feet, that isn't enough for a second story, but is more than I would expect simply to raise the ceiling height.

Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,100

Ayuh,... It's usually cheaper 'n easier to just rip off the roof, then stud up to height, 'n build a New roof....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:23 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
I am curious why you are raising the walls five feet, that isn't enough for a second story, but is more than I would expect simply to raise the ceiling height.
I figure increasing the height by 5ft will be sufficient to add around 1000sq ft of fully permitted loft style space that could be put to multi-purpose use: games area, study area, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo
Ayuh,... It's usually cheaper 'n easier to just rip off the roof, then stud up to height, 'n build a New roof....
Ya thats what I figured. once the exterior walls and roof are up, I could take care of the rest as time and money permits. Still looking for some kind of cost estimate for doing this in san francisco bay area.
albertpinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,926

About the only way to get a ball park figure,will be to visit a local architect with photos and measurements--Local architects usually have a handle on local building costs---
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote