Raising Rafter Ties - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2014, 07:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Raising Rafter Ties

I am fixing up my garage and am looking to raise the rafter ties to get a bit more headroom and also clean-up the tie framing. It's a bit of a mess. I need some advice.

A few things first:

1) Garage is attached, ridge board extends from house
2) Hip roof with hip opposite the house side
3) The wall with the garage door is 8' tall and perpendicular to hip and house wall
4) The wall opposite the garage door is 6.5'-7' tall
5) The ridge board is not centered in the garage, the rafters (2x6) running to the short wall (opposite garage door) are about 12', those running to the garage door wall are shorter with a bit steeper angle; I'm not sure of the angle of either rafters yet

About the existing ties:

1) Garage door to opposite wall (parallel with house), 2x4s every other rafter (4 total), with each being two 2x4s nailed together to get the span needed, two have been cut over the years so only two remain functional, they are nailed to the rafters and sit on the double top plate (I want to replace and raise these)
2) There is a bit of kick out given the two cut ties, but nothing I'm worried about, less than an inch (house was built in the 1940s and has been through earthquakes (close to the Northridge epicenter) out here in California, so it's not going anywhere
3) There are also 2, 2x4 ties running from the house to the hip wall and also 2, 1x4 ties running from the house to the hip wall, these run under the ties running from the garage door wall to the opposite wall. The two 1x4 ties are sagging and provide no support whatsoever. Both of these sets of ties are also two boards nailed together to get the needed span.
4) I understand the lower 1/3 rule for the ties.

Questions:

1) Should I just replace the 2x4 ties or should I bump up to 2x6? The span will be 16'-18' after raising them. I'll need to use a king(?) stud in the middle to keep them from sagging, although the current ties don't have these and haven't sagged. I guess trees don't grow like they used to. I want to be able to have a little storage shelf to put light, but bulky items like coolers and such.
2) Do I need the ties running from the house to the hip wall? I've read, maybe here even, that you don't need ties on a hip because of the way the forces of a hip works. If I do, I'd replace and lift these ties as well to be just under the garage door to opposite wall ties (imagine a grid, like a tic-tac-toe board), but this would be a bit of work because I'll have to tear out the plaster on the house wall to detach and replace.

I can add some pictures tonight, but if anyone is able to visualize this and you have any friendly advice and suggests, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks much in advance!

Advertisement

builditbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,130

Raising Rafter Ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by builditbig View Post

I can add some pictures tonight, but if anyone is able to visualize this and you have any friendly advice and suggests, I'd appreciate it.
A picture in this case is worth a million words. Your description is hard to visualize.

Also are you sure you mean you want to raise the rafter ties. Could you be referring to collar ties? Rafter ties are essentially the ceiling joists.
Attached Thumbnails
Raising Rafter Ties-framing.jpg  

Advertisement

hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:48 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Raising Rafter Ties

Yep, I mean rafter ties. There is no ceiling in the garage, it's open roof, hence the need for the ties. I can't upload the pictures tonight, but literally imagine a tic-tac-toe grid as the ties, but in this case there are 4 ties each way.
builditbig is offline   Reply With Quote