Raising House With I Joists - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Raising house with I joists

I need to replace the beams under my house. The joists resting atop the beams are engineered I joists and the plan is to put temporary beams under the joists about 1 foot in from the walls then jacking up the house, remove the old beams and replace. My concern is whether the I joist can hold up the walls and house effectively cantilevered 1 foot. The joists are 2 foot on center and about 14 span. House is 1 1/2 stories. Any thoughts?

Advertisement

im12079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Where are the existing beams that you need to replace? How many are there? What is the roof structure?

I'm guessing at this point with out knowing the specifics that it's probably ok to lift the structure in the manner you describe.

Advertisement

mics_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Usually you jack up one side just enough to slide new beams in
Is a Pro doing this?
Not something I would attempt

Are they perimeter beams?
Or are they in the middle of the house?
Why are they being replaced?

The joists are (usually) engineered to hold up the floor, some interior walls etc
You would need to verify they can hold the weight of the entire wall system & everything above

Not something I would just "go ahead" & do
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,032

When an I-joist is cantilevered, sometimes it requires plywood sistered to both sides for stiffening. I would call the manufacturer stamped on the side of each one as their tech crew could answer that better than any of us on any forum. Each brand is different as I learned from installing them for over 20 years. You have hundreds or even thousands of pounds on these and the roll-over is great when removing the bearing beneath. They should be blocked at the bearing beam to prevent this, though that may not have been required when installed. Here is one number for APA's engineered floor I-joists: 1- 800- 648-3936. Ask for tech support. Notice the plywood stiffeners required at a cantilever: http://www.ilevel.com/literature/TJ-4000.pdf

Be safe, Gary

Last edited by Gary in WA; 09-20-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Hire a licensed and INSURED professional for this......