Raising An Existing Jack Post (Telepost) - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2011, 11:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Raising an existing Jack post (Telepost)

Hello. Im a newbie on this site and have really appreciated this site in providing me valuable information on my first home. Here is the scenario I am dealing with now.
I currently have a balcony above the garage. THis balcony is supported by one major beam (around 20 ft in length) with a single jackpole in the middle of the beam (in the garage). I guess over the years with heavy snow accumulating on the balcony as well as foundation settling (noticeable by a few cracks on concrete garage floor), the main beam has sagged slightly.
This beam also has some lateral cracks which I believe are normal over time. The beam is also extremely dry that it can easily be chipped as it is very rough (if that helps at all)
My method to solve this problem was simply to turn the existing jackpole so that it raises the main beam a day at a time (1/16 of an inch per day) I have only done it once so far and before continuing wanted to make sure this was the proper method. I have seen other threads where two sistering jackpoles were needed, but in my case wasn't sure why this would be necessary on an existing jackpole.

Advertisement

malicio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Could be that there is not enough footing under the post to bear the load. If that is the case then turning the screw may solve your problem temporarily, but it will continue to settle and sag. You really need to decide what caused the sag in the first place. Then attack the problem where it truly exists.

Advertisement

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

It would really help if you posted a picture or two.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. Will come back with a picture later today. For now all I can say is that the garage itself is above-grade and I have a basement beside the foundation of the garage (ie the garage foundation is a basement wall) which probably means there is quite a bit of footing (6ft +) or not? depending how the center of the garage is done. THis sagging also has also caused slight exterior damage to the brick which seems to have been patched up not too long ago. I will come back with pictures for better visibility to this topic.

Thanks
Old 01-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,048

It is very likely you will need a more robust footing. You would then need two sistering (maybe not that close) jack poles to hold up the beam and balcony during the time you remove the original jack pole temporarily and build a new footing. Or put in new footings for the two alternate jack poles perhaps at the 1/3 to 2/5 point and 3/5 to 2/3 point along the beam, install them, and remove the original jack pole for good.
malicio (01-15-2011)
Old 01-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #6

I have included the pictures. The length of the beam is close to 17 ft + and the jackpole is more or less in the middle. Let me know if the pictures help. In regards to the footing, I don't see any dipping in the area below the pole. Note the pole is also extended to double it's regular length (has a pin below and above) due to the height of the beam. I guess the question is, is the sag serious? Is it easy to adjust by just turning the pole little by little on the sagging point or is it safer to put the two sistering poles as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Raising an existing Jack post (Telepost)-img_4493.jpg   Raising an existing Jack post (Telepost)-img_4492.jpg   Raising an existing Jack post (Telepost)-img_4496.jpg   Raising an existing Jack post (Telepost)-img_4497.jpg  
Old 01-14-2011, 08:34 PM   #7
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,278

Ayuh,... In my experince, that screw is about at the end of it's travel....

I'd sister it, 'n take the load up,...
I'd also go find a more robust pole to put back in it's place....
You can get heavy wall steel pipe, that'll allow you to reuse the screw-jack in it....
Heavy pipe, cut to length,...
1/4" steel plates, above, 'n below wouldn't hurt athing either....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
malicio (01-15-2011)
Old 01-14-2011, 11:57 PM   #8
Wolf

Rewards Points: 25

I'm am not a structural engineer and rely a lot on intuition to stay safe in these kinds of projects. It seems from your pictures and narrative that (1) the beam was adequate to begin with but has sagged for some reason which if solved could correct the situation, (2) I'm guessing from the picture of the footing that it is probably the reason for the sag. No telling how deep the footing is but in my experience, the footing should be 24" square by 12" deep (steel reinforced, minimum) for each support member. If it were my home with this problem, I would strongly consider AllanJ's comment to add a second support member, thus two footings.
ralphfravel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ralphfravel For This Useful Post:
malicio (01-15-2011)
Old 01-15-2011, 02:17 PM   #9

I thank you all for your comments, especially AllanJ and Bondo. I have decided to do the two things recommended:
1. Place 2 jackpoles on either side at the recommended distances to distribute the load better. It is way too much pressure and force on one pole which could be the reason for the sag due to bad footing in the first place. And I just realized something, there is a drain towards where there garage doors are almost at the 1/4 point or , so I would have to place the poles a little after that annoyance.
2. Get the proper height of pole as this one was constructed using two poles which is not ideal and also had no steel plates below to relieve the pressure. The current pole is over 100" in height!! Extended too much.

Now I guess the next question is, do I just place the sistering poles directly on the garage floor (with steel plates of course)?
And I am guessing that just screwing them upward slowly day by day will allow me to remove the existing pole at some point in time?

Off to another challenge, installing hardwood flooring on a badly levelled floor. Found a sagging joist beneath a wall, and yes, for some reason it is only one joist beneath that wall. Will open another thread for this one

Last edited by malicio; 01-15-2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Forgot a point
Old 01-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by malicio View Post

Now I guess the next question is, do I just place the sistering poles directly on the garage floor (with steel plates of course)?
And I am guessing that just screwing them upward slowly day by day will allow me to remove the existing pole at some point in time?
You need the proper footings under the new pole locations. I would think you would also need to let them cure before exerting pressure on them.
Ron
Old 01-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #11

Thanks will do that. create footings with some good steel plates.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:10 PM   #12
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,142

Quote:
Originally Posted by malicio View Post
Thanks will do that. create footings with some good steel plates.
You're new plan to create two new footings & posts is great, but you won't need any steel plates at the base. The concrete will have no trouble with the footprint of the column once it reaches adequate strength. I would also suggest placing the screw jack at the base of the posts on the new ones, as it's far more robust than the hollow tubing and will survive better in a wet location such as a garage floor.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,000

how do you know the beam has sagged and wasnt installed this way?
Old 03-21-2011, 02:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
You're new plan to create two new footings & posts is great, but you won't need any steel plates at the base. The concrete will have no trouble with the footprint of the column once it reaches adequate strength. I would also suggest placing the screw jack at the base of the posts on the new ones, as it's far more robust than the hollow tubing and will survive better in a wet location such as a garage floor.

It's been a while since I posted this and just got around to prepping this. I realized that the existing post (see in previous pictures) is embedded in the concrete footing when originally I thought it was sitting on top. I also just noticed your comment about flipping the posts upside down with the screw at the bottom. I saw this technique outlined elsewhere and it mentioned something about bearing more on the concrete vs. the beam. Even though the manufacturer pictures show it the other way around???
I have bought 2 new posts which are of proper height for this application and I created two footings on either side of the old one (applying proper grade concrete). The footings are 7" by 11" each and about 2-2.5 inch deep (like the old one). THey are currently curing (Day 1). I made sure to prime the surface before with some concrete glue and even mixed this with the concrete mix. Is this ok?
Was I also supposed to dig a little before placing the footing on top?

The other question is, do I redo them with the posts embedded upside down? I would need to know soon as I am not sure I will be able to remove them easily once fully cured.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2011, 08:47 AM   #15

"The footings are 7" by 11" each and about 2-2.5 inch deep (like the old one). THey are currently curing (Day 1). I made sure to prime the surface before with some concrete glue and even mixed this with the concrete mix. Is this ok?
Was I also supposed to dig a little before placing the footing on top?"
This does not constitute a footing. Footings are 2 feet x 2 feet by 2 feet for a two story house, give or take.
Unless this is a doll house.
Ron

Advertisement

Tags
beam , jack , major , pole , raise