DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

raising ceiling

11K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Joe Carola 
#1 ·
I am looking at a one story ranch that I really like but I need to raise the ceiling in the master 1 foot so my bed can fit. The room is about 15 by 15. Anyone have a ballpark clue how much that would cost.

#3 ·
You can't simply "raise the ceiling." Another way to look at it is: Why would a builder make the ceiling lower than it could have possibly been? You need to get above it and see what it there. Generally the ceiling material (drywall, plaster, etc.) is screwed to the trusses above and you can't just cut them out and move them where you want..... they hold the house together. Unless there is something I'm missing, there is no way this job is worth thinking about.

Is there more to your decision to buy/not buy this house than whether your bed will fit?!?! Why not just cut 1' off the bed posts?

#4 ·
the bed is 120 year old 4 poster bed that is 8 1/2 feet tall. I understand that the part of the new ceiling up against the wall of the house will have to be sloped to conform to the roof, but it seems that you could take the sheetrock off and rejoist a foot higher. I have seen a ceiling raised in a kitchen before and just do not know how how much it would cost.

#5 ·
Raising ceilings is done all the time with stick framing. You have to see if this is stick framed or trussed roof.

No one here can even come close to telling you what it would cost. You have to get a contractor over there to see what kind of roof it it(stick frame or truss) and if it's stick framed, you have to see what's above it....wires, plumbing, hvac.....etc.

Raising a ceiling also needs to be calculated by an Architect or Engineer so that you know how high you can raise it depending on what size rafters there are and the span and pitch of the roof, snow load ....etc.

You might have 2x6's for rafters and after you have determined the height of the ceiling, you will have to fir down the bottom of the 22x6's for insulation purposes. In my area we have to have a minimum of 2x8's for cathedral rafters.

#6 ·
it is stick framing and there are no wireing or ac issues above it. Framed with 2 x 6 rafters. someone has to have a guess. I really do not see this as a hard project, but I could be very wrong. I dont want to waste a contractors time if it is way out of budget.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.