Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2007, 03:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Raising the ceiling

Doing homework before I close on a house. Home is a 1960's 960 square foot single story ranch with 2x6 rafters. I want to remove the ceiling joists in the living room which is approximately 1/2 the width of the house to open up the ceiling.

If the bearing wall is centered under the ridge I want to extend the bearing wall up to the ridge board and secure the rafters to it. I want to insulate, drywall, add one inch air space to the rafters for the new ceiling. I'm hoping to do this without rafter or collar ties.

If the bearing wall is not centered under the ridge I want to run ties from and to opposing rafters, extend the bearing wall up to ties and attach ties to extend bearing wall. Drywall the new ties for the ceiling.

Will these two scenarios work structurally? Other suggestions, comments, better ways appreciated. Many Thanks.

MrTique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 03:40 PM   #2
ICF Construction

Raising the ceiling

I've done this before, you need a designer (engineer) to review what you have. The two scenarios I know is (1) install another deeper member beside the existing top cord (usually an open web truss or something along those lines) or depending on your roof pitch say it is a 6/12 frame a 4/12 below it to allow you to transfer loads between the top cord and bottom cord from the ridge to the exterior bearing wall.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:37 AM   #3

Raising the ceiling

Thanks for your reply chris.

Wouldn't the ridge become a structural ridge if the interior bearing wall was extended up to and attached to the rafters?

I do need an architect/engineer...one I contacted wanted 3-5K which seemed very high, but I've never used one and have no idea what would typically be charged for this.
MrTique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:10 AM   #4
ICF Construction

Raising the ceiling

The ridge becomes structural - Yes, the 2x6 top cord usually can't span any distance without additional support. I would start by contacting the local truss manufacturer and have them look at it. If you are buying the trusses from them for the changes they have the ability to design and size what you need for the building department to obtain a permit.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:06 AM   #5
Woodworker and Contractor

Raising the ceiling

Your thoughts are right on both designs but if you have any doubt you need a pro to look at it, there are to many things to give you a true answer online. Around here in FL I have an achitect that would charge about $1000-$1500 for a full set of building plans for that change to take to the city so I thing you can find cheaper. Ask around for smaller firms they work small jobs like this better. Good Luck
Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote