Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #1

Share |

raising attic floor?

I have an decent size attic space that I use for storage (tots of xmas stuff). I want to add as much insulation as I can as there isn't much already there but I would still like to keep the storage space. Since I'll have to pull up the attic floor to add insulation anyway is there an easy way to increase the distance between the ceiling in the room below and the flooring in the attic?
Also when the originally insulated this space they insulated between the roof rafters and covered it with thin plywood all the way to the eves (makes it look like a finished room). I'm guessing this is what causing the major ice dams I'm getting in this section of the house. If I remove this insulation would it be ok to put some of the plywood up as long as I make sure there is enough space for air to move freely? Personally it being a attic I don't care and would be more then happy to use the plywood for other projects but my wife asked if I could put it back up becouse of all the nail points that would be exposed.

MyEvilBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #2

raising attic floor?

I'm considering this as well. I was planning on putting additional framing lumber on top of and at right angle to the existing joists. Then covering that with plywood after filling with insulation. Going to reduce head clearance in the attic of course.

Mike in Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #3

raising attic floor?

I was thinking either that or making the existing joists taller by running a 2x4's the the same direction as the joists at the height I want, attaching to the roof rafts and the nailing a few pieces of plywood or other sheeting type material between each joist and 2x4 set to connect the two for stability.
Which sounds like alot of work. The problem I was having just running (basicly) another set of joists at a 90 degree angle to whats there is you'd be adding a decent amount of weight to the ceiling which you would probly want at least partly self-supporting???
Old 02-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #4

raising attic floor?

At right angles puts all the weight on the existing ceiling joists below. I would find the span, know the species and grade, pick the pounds per sq.ft. and calculate for the size of lumber required; http://www.awc.org/calculators/span/...orizontal+Span
Then I would add 1/2" spacers under the bearing ends of the new joists over the old joists at the walls below. That way, none of the new storage will bear on the old (possibly over-spanned) ceiling joists and you will get the insulation required up there.

Gary
Old 02-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #5

raising attic floor?

So this would be the prefered, easiest, &/or safest method of doing this then? if so how would you figure how many pounds per sq ft you'd be safe with? total wieght you think you could want to put on it including flooring divided by the total sq ft you'll be using? the span I'd need would be about 25ft so I wouldn't be able to cross the distance with a single piece of wood even if I could get it up there so I'd have to build a cross support or two?
Old 02-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #6

raising attic floor?

Been reading a lot of posts and ideas on different sites... since I don't really need my whole attic to be floored I just want a good place for xmas boxes and raising the R value is more important here's what I perpose from what I found.
take up all my current flooring & either toe nail a 2x4 or 2x6 on top of the joists or run them perpendiular only in the small area I will be putting flooring back down. Once this space is filled with blow in insulation put a layer or two of rigid foam down just where my floor will be to get the r-value close to what the rest of the attic will be and top with my flooring. Build a simple wall to keep the blow in insulation out of the storage area and finish filling the rest of the attic space with blow in.
this would actulally reduce the load the joists current hold... does this seem like a decent option? would using foam board in this manor not work or cause a moisture problem?