Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #1

Share |

Raised telepost footers... (pic) can I remove?

DIYChatroom, what would you do ..

My teleposts are placed on raised footers as shown in the photo, they are 6" tall.

Can I simply put up temporary supports on either side, hammer them flush with the cement floor and then put teleposts on top ?

Appreciate all input. These posts are all holding up an 8" steel I-Beam that spans along the 45 foot length in the center of my home.

Thanks!

Last edited by yohan; 11-09-2010 at 02:53 PM. Reason: added photo
yohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

it all depends what else is there. If that is required to provide an adequate base for the posts, no, you cannot remove that. If it is merely for the looks, then sure, whack away.

How to determine that is not easy though. Short of having some sort of original design plans, I don't know how you would make the determination.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #3

My thought is I should hammer a hole through the cement floor right beside it (or just temporary support it and bash it anyways because I need to .. ) and see how deep the footing goes. If it merely rests on top of the concrete floor, then I would say its probably not enough support and I'll need to dig a footer.

I've been told I can hammer it away and plant a new telepost on the floor but am looking for additional opinions as I'm not sure the code for this type of structure.

Another question is how much allowance is there to relocate the posts from its original stance?
yohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

If you will do what it takes to remove the lumps, you can do what you described and if you find there is not an adequate base, you can then install one and all is well.
relocating a post generally requires an engineer to certify the placement is adequate. The posts are positioned where they are so they each support a determined load. Moving them alters the load on any given post and may not provide proper support where it is required.

as to the codes: that one I cannot tell you.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote