Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2009, 06:05 PM   #1

Share |

Raised center beam in house

Here is my problem. I have lived in this house for thirty years. I have always had wall to wall carpeting. I recently decided to install hardwood flooring. After removing the carpeting I discovered that the floor is crowned along the main center beam. I bought this house when it was being built and the person building the house passed away. I bought it
from the widow and continued the construction. I later discoved that the carpenter that was building the house had driven fixed length support columns under the main beam with a sledge hammer. The end result of that is the raised main beam. I am now considering replacing the existing
columns with adjustable columns and trying to lower the beam. I need to come down about 3/4 inches. Does anyone have any ideas about this endeavor. I know that this problem is not from foundation settling etc.
this problem was pointed out to me 30 years ago, but at that time I
could not afford to do anything about it.Any help will be appreciated.

Stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,... How many colums are we talking,..??

With a hyd. jack,+ blocking, you should be able to raise it enough to remove the solid units,+ replace it with the adjustable 1...
I'd put the adjustable in, extended it's full screw, leaving things at or near the level it's at now...
After all the colums are swapped out, Then start lowering the adjustments to seek the Level you need...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #3

It is a total of 4 columns. The four columns are no more than 20 feet apart on center. Two of the columns are actually no more than twelve inches apart on center. I have never understood why they are so close.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:16 PM   #4

Some Building Departments will not accept adjustable supports for permanent use. Check with your local one.
Be safe, Gary
Old 12-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
Mold!! Let's kill it!

If you are going to lower it with screw adjustable columns, be sure to grease the screw threads. They will be a bear to turn after they are loaded. Lower it very slowly. It's been in the same position for 30 years and won't be happy to move without a lot of creaking and groaning. A little at a time and let it settle for a week or so in between. Go too fast and you'll risk having things pull apart in areas. In addition, since it was built this way, you'll have some drywall/plaster issues. This is a little different than jacking a sagged/settled structure. Any walls involved above this beam are going to be real reluctant to move since the wall finish was installed to match the crowned condition. You didn't elaborate on the type of home, but if it has a second story, you want to look at what will happen to the floor levels there. You could level the first floor and create a dip in the second. In either case, if there are roof trusses, you need to consider what happens where walls and ceilings meet at the bottom of the trusses. You may be lowering the walls away from the ceilings, or pulling the bottoms of the trusses.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #6

Thanks for the tip Maintainance 6. The house is a single level ranch. The most elevated area is through the hallway. There are of course walls running parallel on either side of the beam.There is a intersecting closet wall at the hallway end. I will have several issues to deal with. The main duct from the furnace is attached to the beam and there are two water lines that pass through the beam. The water lines do not concern me as much as the duct.I guess in time I will find out about Murphy's law.