Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #1

Share |

Rainscreen Siding Detail

I am going to be replacing cedar siding with new cedar siding with a rainscreen. I plan on using 3/8" or 1/2" PT plywood strips or maybe a plastic type product from Cor-a-vent

I will be installing some new wood windows (without any flange), but also keeping some of the old ones. The window casing will be flat 5.5" wide (cedar or maybe Miratec).

My questions is how to detail the rainscreen at the windows? One idea was to flash the window as usual, and then use thicker casing (2x instead of 5/4) directly over the flashing/building paper. I think it would be better to have the rainscreen behind the casing as well, but I am not sure how to close off the gap between the window and the casing (1/2"). I could add 1/2" extension jambs to the windows, but I bet those would rot out pretty quick.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

handyman923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:18 PM   #2

Rainscreen Siding Detail

buildingscience.com and/or greenbuildingadvisor.com should have details for you.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
journeyman carpenter

Rainscreen Siding Detail

i do this type of detail quite often. first install your furring strips around teh window openings, install a vycor or blueskin drip pan on the sil first.. then set the window into a bead of caulking at the sides and top of the opening..now install a metal cap flashing over the brick mould and have the top flange of the flashing tuck up under the tyvek.. do this for all your windows.. fill in all the vertical furring strips on the walls nailing into studs so to make sure they dont come loose

best practice now is to run a bead of clear caulking behind each peice of siding where it buts into the windows and doors to seal the joint.. leaving the notch in the siding over the window un-caulked so any water that does get behind the siding can run back out . once the siding is completed face caulk all the siding at windows and doors. also skipping the caulking over tops of windows and doors
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote