Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #1

Share |

rain screen construction

I am adding an exterior wall 90* into my existing exterior wall. This will make a right angle of two walls 30" long x 8' high and 12' long x 8' high. On top of the 1/2" plywood sheathing I will place 30# felt. I want to construct a rain screen between the felt and the exterior finish. I want to place 3" strips of ventilated plastic strips on the studs over the felt. I have a product called "Craft Foil", it's a radiant barrier product. The instructions advise for best use to create an air gap between the barrier and the wall. I wanted to place this product on top of the plastic ventilation strips. Question is will I be creating two barriers which will create moisture? Or should I just install the Craft Foil product on top of the plywood sheathing and just forget the felt?
Second question is I'm trying to find a product like vinyl or fiberglass that is a smooth one or two piece system to install as my finish wall. Would like something different then vinyl siding. Thanks.

bileaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:40 AM   #2

rain screen construction

Sounds overly involved and I'm not quite sure what you're even describing...

Old 08-10-2011, 09:53 AM   #3

rain screen construction

That craft foil was mainly used as a vapor barrier on concrete block construction. Of course times have changed. Now its put on the interior side of the block to give a little extra "R" factor.
Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote