Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2010, 09:21 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Rain Damaged Dry Wall

My building contractor had a load of drywall delivered to the construction site. The person making the delivery set the load in the garage, but the load was not all the way inside. It rained and the drywall got wet. I notified the contractor and he said it would be ok to use. Should I make them use new drywall or is it safe to use drywall that has been damp? The bottom drywall board was totally soaked.

Tedhillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:33 PM   #2

Rain Damaged Dry Wall

it's always been my understanding if drywall gets soaked it's done for. however, that's hung where it can warp, fall, distort and mold. in your case, i really don't know but some of the drywall veterans might. personally i would be sketchy

racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:00 PM   #3

Smile

Rain Damaged Dry Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by racebum View Post
it's always been my understanding if drywall gets soaked it's done for. however, that's hung where it can warp, fall, distort and mold. in your case, i really don't know but some of the drywall veterans might. personally i would be sketchy

Thanks Racebum, I appreciate your input.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rain Damaged Dry Wall

Its actually a load of "Sheetrock" that was delivered. Drywall is the entire process of the specific trade/phase of work.

If the bottom of the sheetrock was totally "soaked" (as you stated), as a builder, I would have contacted the material supplier who made the delivery - and raised heck, for them not covering the material with poly. I would demand replacement of the material, or the bad portions of the material.
My regular supplier will always wrap the sheetrock in poly, under such conditions (not rocket science).
Tho - I don't know if the builder had someone else deliver it, or if he let it sit that way for a week.

The other option might be to "cut-off" and dispose the areas that were 'soaked", and make sure that any moisture has vacated before installation. Example: 12' sheets = cut off 2' of the wet ends.

On the other hand, if the material is simply damp on the end - and it did not sit out for long...the material could be used, if moisture has dried out completely.

Example: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Drywall-P...etrock-wet.htm
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #5

Question

Rain Damaged Dry Wall

Thanks for the help, I found this very useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Its actually a load of "Sheetrock" that was delivered. Drywall is the entire process of the specific trade/phase of work.

If the bottom of the sheetrock was totally "soaked" (as you stated), as a builder, I would have contacted the material supplier who made the delivery - and raised heck, for them not covering the material with poly. I would demand replacement of the material, or the bad portions of the material.
My regular supplier will always wrap the sheetrock in poly, under such conditions (not rocket science).
Tho - I don't know if the builder had someone else deliver it, or if he let it sit that way for a week.

The other option might be to "cut-off" and dispose the areas that were 'soaked", and make sure that any moisture has vacated before installation. Example: 12' sheets = cut off 2' of the wet ends.

On the other hand, if the material is simply damp on the end - and it did not sit out for long...the material could be used, if moisture has dried out completely.

Example: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Drywall-P...etrock-wet.htm
Old 07-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #6

Rain Damaged Dry Wall

If the pieces were left in a stack, they won't dry as fast and the chances are greater that mold would start to form or the paper surfaces would stick together.

Sheetrock is a trademark (of USG Corp.)

Last edited by AllanJ; 07-10-2010 at 11:00 AM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:01 PM   #7

Rain Damaged Dry Wall

Contact the manufacturer of the drywall material: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drywall

They honor the warranty, or not. This from a group of manufacturers: http://www.gypsum.org/pdf/GA-216-07.pdf
The beginning codes talk about delivery and water.

Be safe, Gary