Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2008, 11:25 AM   #1
deuce of all trades

Share |

Railroad ties- what are the downsides?

Greetings, All...

A wood lot near me has a big stack of railroad ties for cheap. Far, far cheaper than equivalent lumber. This has me thinking.

Aside from the fact that you'll get dirty if you rub against them, what would the problem be with using them as uprights for a detatched carport?
Given the price advantage I would expect to see them used more in outdoor construction, but it's very rare to see them. Is it the smell? Code violation? Weaker than they look? Fire?

Cheers,

...dave

lanispet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:28 PM   #2

Somewhat toxic (even more-so when you start cutting on them), hard to work with, and, by the time they are for sale to the public they often have rotten spots.

Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:02 PM   #3
Custom Cabinet Maker

Also most rr ties are creosote treated which could be considered hazardous waste material. Dont do it
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:10 PM   #4
remodeling pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanispet View Post
Greetings, All...

Aside from the fact that you'll get dirty if you rub against them, what would the problem be with using them as uprights for a detatched carport?
Fire?

..dave
If you use them in a spot such as you suggested, you will get more than "dirty" when you rub against them. Creosote , while a great preservative, is pretty nasty stuff. It will permanently stain anything it gets on, and is highly irritating to skin, resulting in spots on you that look like you have literally been burned or scalded. And the smell never goes away from the product. They are best left alone, not only for these reasons, but at stated, they are availabe to you because they have been removed from service by the RR due to their deteriorating condition, thus the anticipated life span of them is less than you expect.
And just as a kicker, creosote is highly flammable.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:12 PM   #5
deuce of all trades

Thanks for the info... I knew creosote wasn't very nice, but i didn't think it was quite that bad. i also thought that while it had a lot of energy, it took a lot of heat to ignite (substantially higher temp than untreated pine). I'd planned to get around the staining issue by sheeting them in either PTL planks or vinyl siding to match the house. Ah well.

Thanks,

...dave
lanispet is offline   Reply With Quote