Railroad - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

View Poll Results: OK To Use Railroad Ties As Floor For Pole Barn/Shop?
Don't Know 1 6.25%
No - bad decision 13 81.25%
Never heard of RR ties for floor 1 6.25%
Seen it before and should be fine 1 6.25%
Yes 0 0%
Voters: 16. This poll is closed

Old 03-01-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
Federico

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Railroad

Hello,
I've just finished framing a 20x20 garage/shop and would like to use railroad ties as the floor. Wanted to know if anyone has had experience or heard of using RR ties as floor versus traditional concrete slab. On a budget right now and seems I can get the RR ties for $3 apiece compared to much more for concrete. I'm thinking RR ties would be strong and I can level them well one by one with my base frame. Any thoughts or ideas are welcomed.

Advertisement

fcmazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
Crazy, but lovable

Rewards Points: 75

Railroad

The creosote smell would be unbearable on hot days.

Advertisement

flyboy2610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Railroad

Wow! That's going to take some wrapping my brain around. Truly interesting concept. Seems like you will be doing a lot of tongue and groove fabrication to key (lock) them together. And then about three days of sanding with 36 grit to begin with.

Probably have to resaw all of them first, too. I can see a beautiful, but stinky floor. Don't breathe the dust while you're sawing and sanding; it'll burn your throat raw! (Don't ask how I know. )

Last edited by Willie T; 03-01-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,468

Railroad

Put in a stone floor. If you do it correct it will be a suitable base for concrete when you get the cash.
You could also asphalt it. Cheaper than concrete.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Railroad

You will never be able to effectively sweep a railroad tie floor. Plus getting it level would be a pain. I would go for compacted 3/4" tb before I would put down railroad ties.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:53 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,340

Railroad

It sounds like a really cool idea, it would look rustic. But, there are some health risks associated with railroad ties. I found this info on the MSU-Bozeman website. It's not the entire article, just bits and pieces of it.

Creosote is the black gue that railroad ties are treated with. Creosote has been classified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as a probable carcinogen. Studies have shown increased risk of cancer and respiratory problems in plant workers repeatedly exposed to creosote. Exposure to creosote on the skin has been shown to cause rash and irritation and in an extreme case, cancer. Direct skin contact with creosote poses the most likely health risks to people outside industrial applications. When handling creosote treated wood, wear gloves and long sleeves and try to minimize time spent working with ties. Work in well ventilated areas and avoid working in hot conditions when vapors are most potent.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:06 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 580

Railroad

Toe stubs, splinters, and poison. Sounds like a damn fine floor to me.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:39 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Railroad

I have seen old shop floors made with beams like cross ties, but they had cut them into short pcs. and laid them end grain up.
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:00 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 610

Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Toe stubs, splinters, and poison. Sounds like a damn fine floor to me.
Agree, with the health hazards
Old 03-02-2009, 09:48 AM   #10

Railroad

I have seen it before. It does smell, and I wouldn't want to spend much time in there knowing it is a potential health hazard. I'd go with stone as mentioned and pour over it when you have the cash. You could lay down some patio blocks in work / parking areas.
Reilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000

Railroad

concrete might not be as expensive as you think you still need a gravel base for the ties plus they tend to dull blades very quickly and are very heavy getting them all level and lined up could take awhile.redi-mix couple of hrs its done start using your shop alot quicker
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:19 PM   #12
Kyle Emerick

Railroad

I agree, it would smell bad...
Old 04-09-2009, 09:17 PM   #13
Federico

Rewards Points: 10

Railroad

All,
Thank you for the feedback on the railroad ties. I going with the majority and forget about this project. Probably stick to plywood or straight packed gravel.

Good luck on your projects.

FCMAZZ
fcmazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:06 AM   #14
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,040

Railroad

Along the lines stated by 7echo, I also have seen many industrial floors built prior to "a long time ago" that were hardwood wooden blocks laid ends up. They, somehow, cut these back then so square that when laid they were very solid. I did some contract work in a textile mill back in the early '70's that had one entire floor, approximately 30,000 sq. ft. made entirely of this type flooring. They were driving fork lifts, and motorized pallet jacks on this floor. We were reluctant to drive in our 60K forklift and they insisted "you can't hurt this floor". It turned out we didn't even dent it. They used to coat this floor with the oils/fuel used to fire their huge boilers. That stuff was like molasses at normal S. GA. July temps. I really can't imagine the problems with making a floor with RR crossties laid flat, rounded edges, humped sides, etc.

Advertisement

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
railroad