Rafters Or Trusses Or Both? (pic) - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2014, 12:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 132

Rafters or Trusses or Both? (pic)

I'm about to take possession of a 1961 rancher with 8' ceilings. I'm looking to vault the ceilings of the main living room area to create some volume. I understand that its less costly to vault from rafters vs trusses. However, I can't tell which I have. I've attached some pics below...

The area in question is around the fireplace chimney (will be removing the fireplace) just beyond the horizontal collar tie at the top of the 2nd image below...

Advertisement

Last edited by vestaviascott; 11-12-2014 at 12:22 AM.
vestaviascott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 636

Remove those supports and what going to keep the roof from sagging and spreading out?
Hire a real engineer before doing anything, this is not a I think it should work job, or one anyone on any website should be guessing at.
Cathedral ceilings look cool but present a few issues.
How to properly insulate and vent the roof.
They tend to trap any heat right at the peak of the ceiling instead of convecting it back down.
Adds to the needed BTU's needed to heat and cool the home because of the added sq. footage.

Advertisement

Old 11-12-2014, 07:16 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,242

That is a conventional stick framed structure---due to the low slope of the roof and undersized rafters--support is aided by the angled framing---

That roof is not going to be a good candidate for a vaulted ceiling---

Get an architect or engineer involved---this one might be costly-----
Old 11-12-2014, 09:30 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. To be clear, I'm not looking here for engineering certification and I'm not going to take this on without professional support. The work will be done with assistance of an architect and general contractor.

I'm just doing some pre-planning.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:41 AM   #5
DIY staff

Thank you for the feed back---I've vaulted a few ceilings---some are easy and only require a system to keep the outer walls from blowing out---others require major new supports---An engineer or Architect will be needed for yours--glad you are going about this the right way.
BigJim (11-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 11:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I've vaulted a few ceilings---some are easy and only require a system to keep the outer walls from blowing out---others require major new supports---An engineer or Architect will be needed for yours--glad you are going about this the right way.
Thanks. Roughly on a scale of 1-10 based on what you can see from the pics, where would you put this one on the difficulty meter?

Here's a pic of the front elevation to give you a better idea of the area I'm planning on reworking. Its the ceiling above the wood siding area (from the start of the garage/house wall where the wood siding starts on the left, over to where the porch eve begins.)

This area is appx 30x30 and I'm planning for laminated ridge beam support.

Last edited by vestaviascott; 11-12-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:17 PM   #7
DIY staff

If you have a structural ridge---the left end will not be to difficult to support---but the right end also need support all the way to the footings--or main beam---

that is a long ridge beam---how will you get it into the attic? Will you be reroofing the house? If so the work could be done from the top.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:28 PM   #8

Quote:
that is a long ridge beam---how will you get it into the attic?
Actually, there is a stairwell down to the basement that's in the middle of the room (under the ridge line). I will be leaving a 9' section of load bearing wall framing the stairs and leaving the rest of the stairs open with a rail around it. The two beams will span the space between walls and this middle wall. Appx 15-18 feet each.

Quote:
Will you be reroofing the house? If so the work could be done from the top.
Had not planned on it as shingles still have some life. However, if it makes sense and saves $, then yes.

Last edited by vestaviascott; 11-12-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #9

After meeting with the architect tonight, we may end up only vaulting one half of the ceiling. The side on the back of the house where our kitchen and living room area will be. The beams will be left exposed and will still span to the middle stair wall. The front side will be left flat with 8' ceilings. Back half will be vaulted (perhaps parially up to the collars).
Old 11-13-2014, 07:44 AM   #10
DIY staff

That will make the work much simpler----If you will be doing the framing---let us know--we have a bunch of experienced carpenters here---
Old 11-13-2014, 02:57 PM   #11

Quote:
That will make the work much simpler----If you will be doing the framing---let us know--we have a bunch of experienced carpenters here---
Perhaps so. The architect will begin drawing plans next week. If I do part or all of the demo myself, what's involved?

Here's my assumptions for the entire process (up to the point of beam install):

1) Demo of ceilings - I have one section of popcorn and one section of 12x12 white ceiling tiles (with dark core)

2) Clean up the mess from rock wool insulation, ceiling tiles and popcorn ceiling removal

3) Put up 2x4 wall braces on opposite side of load bearing wall (the side that will retain 8' ceilings. One support every 2 feet in front of the walls that will come down.

4) remove load bearing walls on either side of stair wall.

5) Cut joists off at both ends (after removing anything attached to them like cable runs, junction boxes, electrical wiring, light fixtures, etc) - what typeof saw recommended for this - heavy duty sawsall?

6) Install 2 load bearing engineered laminate beams sized by engineer for resulting loads.

Last edited by vestaviascott; 11-13-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:11 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 729

You ask, "Roughly on a scale of 1-10 based on what you can see from the pics, where would you put this one on the difficulty meter?"
My personal opinion, 8-10.
This is one of those "projects" where I ask, just how bad do you want vaulted ceilings.?
Not impossible, if you throw enough money at it.?
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ron45 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-13-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 06:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron45 View Post
My personal opinion, 8-10.
This is one of those "projects" where I ask, just how bad do you want vaulted ceilings.?
I don't have a blank check, but the architect has not got far enough into the job to draw up plans yet. Based on what I'vee shown him in pics and our initial walk through the house, he has not indicated that he expects to be a budget buster.

We are knocking down walls and installing glue laminate engineered beams up there already.

We are having to remove the ceilings regardless. It has one half filled with 12x12 white drop ceiling tiles (stapled to the wood) and the other half of the room is popcorn textured ceilings. Since we'll be removing those anyway, we'll be giving it a go.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:28 PM   #14
DIY staff

As long as you have the inside finish demolished---the structural changes should not be so bad---please let us know what the architect suggests----
Old 11-16-2014, 07:24 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 524

Stairwell wall may not be sitting on dedicated footing, just a slab. If you are changing the load, you may need new footing on load points.
As you already thought about, higher ceiling (but not up to the rafters) can make a big difference. I would try to have the whole area higher, not just the half.

Advertisement

carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote