Rafters For 10 X 10 Garden Shed - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
Old Hand
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 26
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Rafters for 10 x 10 Garden Shed


I am building a 10 x 10 garden shed with 1/2 plywood paneling on the outside. The ridge beam is 2x6. The rafter overhang is 3". I can't find any articles on how to cut these rafters since the pitch is so low. Anyone know of an online reference guide or can you tell me how to use my framing sqaure to figure out the angles for both the plumb line at the ridge beam and for the birds mounth. Thanks

Advertisement

iliketowork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
Framing Contractor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caldwell, NJ
Posts: 1,758
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Rafters for 10 x 10 Garden Shed


Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketowork View Post
I am building a 10 x 10 garden shed with 1/2 plywood paneling on the outside. The ridge beam is 2x6. The rafter overhang is 3". I can't find any articles on how to cut these rafters since the pitch is so low. Anyone know of an online reference guide or can you tell me how to use my framing sqaure to figure out the angles for both the plumb line at the ridge beam and for the birds mounth. Thanks
I can help you but what does the pitch being so low have to do with anything? What size rafters are you using? Are you framing the whole shed first and then sheathing?

Advertisement

__________________
Joe Carola

Last edited by Joe Carola; 10-23-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
journeyman carpenter
 
woodworkbykirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: nova scotia canada
Posts: 2,767
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Rafters for 10 x 10 Garden Shed


the lower the slope the greater the snow load as the snow wont slide off the roof like it will on a 12/12, the lower the slope i would be more inclined to up the size of the rafters to lessen the chance of them sagging under snow and wind load
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
Framing Contractor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caldwell, NJ
Posts: 1,758
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Rafters for 10 x 10 Garden Shed


Quote:
Originally Posted by wooworkbykirk View Post
the lower the slope the greater the snow load as the snow wont slide off the roof like it will on a 12/12, the lower the slope i would be more inclined to up the size of the rafters to lessen the chance of them sagging under snow and wind load
I wasn't asking that. He said:

Quote:
I can't find any articles on how to cut these rafters since the pitch is so low.
I wanted to know what a low pitch has to do with cutting rafters compared to a higher pitch.
__________________
Joe Carola
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
Residential Designer
 
AndyGump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orange County CA.
Posts: 1,317
Rewards Points: 550
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump
Default

Rafters for 10 x 10 Garden Shed


He doesn't have to worry about snow load, he is in Silicon Valley CA.

To the OP, what is the pitch of the roof?

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
Old Hand
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 26
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Rafters for 10 x 10 Garden Shed


Hi Joe:
Rafters are 2 x 4 since there will be virtually no load (I am in Silicon Valley so there is no snow). I am framing and sheathing first as two sides are 6" from the fence line.

My inability to use the framing square for a low pitch is due to my inexperience cutting rafters: I only see "whole numbers" and can't figure out what pitch only rises about 1" per foot. All I need is for the water to run off the roof as I am going to use composition roll.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
I can help you but what does the pitch being so low have to do with anything? What size rafters are you using? Are you framing the whole shed first and then sheathing?
iliketowork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #7
Framing Contractor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Caldwell, NJ
Posts: 1,758
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Rafters for 10 x 10 Garden Shed


Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketowork View Post
Hi Joe:
I only see "whole numbers" and can't figure out what pitch only rises about 1" per foot.
1" per/foot would be a 1:12... same as if it were to rise 5" per foot...that would be a 5:12...you hold the framing square for a 1:12 pitch on the 1" mark and the 12" mark....for a 5:12...you would hold the framing square on the 5" mark and the 12" mark.
__________________
Joe Carola

Last edited by Joe Carola; 10-24-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Carola For This Useful Post:
iliketowork (10-25-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
Old Hand
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 26
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Rafters for 10 x 10 Garden Shed


That's what I get for trying to outthink this. Appreciate all of your help.
iliketowork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
A "Handy Husband"
 
rjniles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Carolina Low Country
Posts: 4,228
Rewards Points: 2,366
Default

Rafters for 10 x 10 Garden Shed


Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketowork View Post
Hi Joe:
Rafters are 2 x 4 since there will be virtually no load (I am in Silicon Valley so there is no snow). I am framing and sheathing first as two sides are 6" from the fence line.
I would not build 6" from a fence line. First there may be a setback requirement by the town. And even if not, you need to move around it for maintenance. I would go no less than 2 feet and 3 is better.

Advertisement

__________________
Location:
Coastal South Carolina
rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
iliketowork (10-26-2011)
Reply

Tags
birdsmouth cut , rafters


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving an 8x10 wooden shed 100 miles; how? (Video of shed inside) snowfall General DIY Discussions 32 10-23-2012 09:54 PM
Running power to garden shed Tryvidy Electrical 6 07-29-2011 05:13 PM
underground conduit to power up a garden shed HappyHome Electrical 5 08-11-2010 04:46 PM
wiring a detached shed for AC power *and* generator backhaul wrooster Electrical 19 05-28-2010 12:59 PM
Building rafters for small shed simonb Roofing/Siding 4 07-15-2008 01:32 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts