Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #1

Share |

Rafter Question for Small Gable Roof

Gable roof is going to sit on 6x6 post that will be fastened to a sonotube then encased with stucco around the base... I am drawing up my building plans and trying to calculate my measurements. I was planning on leaving the trusses opened and hang a light in the middle for curb appeal. I was planning on doing bird mouth cuts on then nailing them to the plate. I was told I would need to get a bracket to connect the plate board to my existing frame of my house which is a ranch. What is the proper way, I don't want to run into further issues. Should I remove the fasica board and cut a grove in the 2x6 to fit into it or nail it???? what do you recommend. The size of the porch I am covering is 6x5 ft.

ryanb4614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Why the stucco base? It will soon become a "water Trap" = ROT.

Did you seriously mean to say "trusses" when you said you were going to cut a bird's mouth in them? This is a cardinal "No-no"!

Last edited by Willie T; 06-09-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #3

The stucco will be covered by the roof.... Whats the difference if I placed stone over the brick or stucco?

Please see the picture for a better explanation I am not sure of the proper names... If you I am making the roof framing opened like this should there be a birds mouth and nail it to the rafter?
Attached Thumbnails
Rafter Question for Small Gable Roof-chat.jpg  
Old 06-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Do you know what a "bird's mouth" is for?

It is to create a FLAT part of a RAFTER (not truss) so that it can be nailed to the top plate of the wall. The little hang-down notch has nothing to do with fastening the rafter down.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #5
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb4614 View Post
The stucco will be covered by the roof.... Whats the difference if I placed stone over the brick or stucco?
Then you have the only place I know of where rain only falls straight down. And what "brick" are you talking about? You only mentioned a 6x6 "post" in the quote below. Posts are usually made of wood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb4614 View Post
Gable roof is going to sit on 6x6 post that will be fastened to a sonotube then encased with stucco around the base...
Sonotubes are generraly considered foundations. And you said that you are going to fasten the post to this sonotube. This indicates that you are going to use a metal fastening bracket. It would be this bracket (and the wood attached to it) that you intend to cover with stucco, right? The water that will (and it WILL) run down between the post and the stucco will cause the wood to rot because of the mold that will grow in there.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #6

Sorry for not being clear. The 6x6 post I am going to use a metal brace. But then I am going to frame out a 18x18 square base about 36 inches high that will surround the 6x6 post. I will only be using stucco for this. And then I will be capping the top of each 36 in base... So I want a stained 6x6 post going into a 36 inch base that will be stucco....

How do I connect the joist? that the truss will sit on to the house.

PS I will also be using stucco over the brick, my house is brick this is where I believe the confusions is. Sorry