Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

rafter cuts

Is it neccessary to cut a birdmouth into the rafters if I am using metal tie brackets to tie the rafters to the walls? or can i just let them ride on the top plates? They will be nailed to the joists atop the wall.

Robert King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #2

rafter cuts

R802.6 Bearing. The ends of each rafter or ceiling joist shall have not less than 11/2 inches (38 mm) of bearing on wood or metal and not less than 3 inches (76 mm) on masonry or concrete. http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...002_par023.htm

Welcome to the forum!

Gary

Robert King (03-13-2011)
Old 03-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
Framing Contractor

rafter cuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert King View Post
Is it neccessary to cut a birdmouth into the rafters if I am using metal tie brackets to tie the rafters to the walls? or can i just let them ride on the top plates? They will be nailed to the joists atop the wall.
They make a bracket that gets nailed to the top plate and the rafter sits into it and you nail the bracket into the rafter. That's a waste of time. I've never once seen it done Cut the birdsmouth and nail it to the top plate. It's easier and faster.
Robert King (03-12-2011)
Old 03-13-2011, 10:37 AM   #4

rafter cuts

Thankyou for the advice-I'm going to do whar you said. I've never tried it the otherway either,but thought I could save the hassle of making those cuts.have a good day. Robert
Old 03-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
Framing Contractor

rafter cuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert King View Post
Thankyou for the advice-I'm going to do whar you said. I've never tried it the otherway either,but thought I could save the hassle of making those cuts.have a good day. Robert
What is the pitch, span rafter and ridge size?
Old 03-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #6

Cool

rafter cuts

The span is 15', the pitch is 3/12, the ridgeboard is a 2x. I've already set the gable end pair of rafters. I can only do one end now because it is an addition to a home, the new roof steps up 9-1/2" over the existing roof. The new ridge is offset 3'-6" from the existing. I don't want to tear up the existing overhang yet because I'm expecting rain so I'm going to build the gable wall and set all the rafters except the last pair and the barges today. This will be a very lightweight metal roof so that's why I'm using the hurricane ties (simpson). I've seen roofs flip off before and land in a backyard in one piece! On a Motel believe it or not! It was around 150' long! Robert

Last edited by Robert King; 03-13-2011 at 11:29 AM.