Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
ink
DIY Enthusiast

Share |

Radon Mitigation - seal waterproofing drains?

Hi, guys.

When we got our home inspection in 2009, the radon levels in the basement were at 16ppm; 4x the recommended level in our area. My wife has told me that we are going to do something about it, now. Roger that, darling.

Had a guy come out for an estimate. Price was as I expected.. $1000. But.. he wants to take out the waffle board along the perimeter that feeds into the french drains (put in when the basement was waterproofed), and he wants to seal them up. This seems dumb to me.

I've read that people put a fan in their sump pit to pull radon directly out of the french drains. He says he doesn't do that because the fan's life expectancy is cut in half, and that the system won't pull radon put into the basement from other sources, such as the walk-out garage or attached crawl.

I'll admit that I've never seen water running down the walls down there, and we live on the highest point in the neighborhood. But still.. why cover a functional system? If air can't get into those drains, I imagine it won't drain very well.

Any thoughts?

Hammer in Hand, Dad on Speed Dial
http://www.mydadsshoes.com
ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Radon mitigation is a scam. I would not worry about it, due to for years we have survived living in structures for hundreds of years, and there is no medical documentation to state that someone died due to radon.

It is all about placing the fear into people, is how the whole Radon Mitigation stuff works.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 05-30-2012 at 05:22 PM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Radon mitigation is a scam. I would not worry about it, due to for years we have survived living in structures for hundreds of years, and there is no medical documentation to state that someone died due to radon.
Very, very true. As someone who worked almost 30 years in the nuclear power world, I can unequivocally state that grezoll is exactly right. Even if you spent 24/7/365 in your basement, something else would get you first.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #4

I can't imagine anyone in the gummit lying about something, or someone in the construction industry either.

I set up what I like to call a "radon ejaculation system" a while back. I ran a bunch of 3 or 4" drainage tile with the rock under the slab, snaked it all over, then brought it up through a "tee" and terminated it at floor level.

I ran a 4" length of pvc from the basement up into the attic, unconnected.

I reckon that if radon is ever deemed to be a problem there, I will hook up the 4" pvc to the drainage tile and let it start sucking it out naturally. If that doesn't work, plan b is run the 4" pvc up out of the roof and plan c is a motor. From there, I plan on bottling it and selling it.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement, radon, waterproof