Radon Mitigation In Crawlspace Homes? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 502

Radon Mitigation in Crawlspace Homes?

Recently, several of our neighbors have discovered high Radon rates in their homes, which all have basements. I'm in the process of getting my home tested now, which is a crawlspace structure.

If the Radon tests come back showing high levels what is the most cost-effective way to reduce the radon levels? I've been looking into crawlspace ventilators, but I don't know how effective they are against radon.

http://www.tjernlund.com/crawl_Space_ventilation.htm

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisement

kcrossley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,270

Seal the crawl up.

Vapor barrier across the floor, sealed to the stem wall, insulate the side walls.

The vapor barrier will keep the radon from permeating through.

Get the reading first and if it is bad, you can put in a vented space under the vapor barrier and vent to outside.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,212

I have passive radon mitigation in my crawl space. Didn't want it, but it is required here. The building code (IRC 2003 at the time) specified how it was to be done. It's exactly as Windows on Wash described. It vents up through the roof through a 4-inch pipe next to the soil stack. It's passive, meaning there is no fan or ventilator.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote