Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2007, 06:57 AM   #1

Share |

Is this quote good?

I just got a quote to rock and tape my addition. They guy said $2000 for 35 boards.

9 ft ceilings. Cathedral (12 foot high point). I have 1 sliding patio door. 6 windows. Small powder room.

What do you all think?

sandyman720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:35 AM   #2

Cool

Is this quote good?

If that's 12' sheets and you are getting a finish where joints have tape embedded in compound with two coats of compound over them; interior angles with tape enbedded in compound and one coat of compound over them; fastener heads and accessories with three coats of compound; and the whole job free of tool marks and ridges then it might be a little on the low side, depending upon local conditions. At the risk of stating the obvious, people many times think low is good, but I've run jobs before where "low" was the rule and it sure made for more headaches for me and for the trades that come after sub-standard drywall jobs.

The other thing to consider is it sounds like this might be a pretty bright space so you might really rather have what I've heard referred to as a level 5, which includes a skim coat over the whole job.

Ultimately, know who you are considering hiring, what their track record is and then consider price.

DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:39 AM   #3

Is this quote good?

Hi, the quote is for a Union Carpenter to hang and Union taper to finish. It just seems that $57/board is pretty expensive. I heard talk of like $30/board?
sandyman720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:31 AM   #4

Is this quote good?

Based on my experience in the areas I've worked $1.20sf (assuming they are 12' boards) seems a little lite for the type of finish I outlined above. If they're 8' boards then it seems a bit high. A union taper can finish to several different levels so union or not it's more important to know you are both talking about the same level of finish since the more work it takes to achieve the agreed-to finish the more it's going to cost.
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:08 PM   #5

Is this quote good?

Its good if they do good work that meets your expectations. But $500 would be too much if they don't do good work. Base your decision on quality and you'll be happier in the long run.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:25 PM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Is this quote good?

Also, base your decision on if you are a person who wants to support your local union laborers.

FWIW - We are not a "union contractor". I am simply stating this as a point to consider.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote