Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #1

Share |

Quonset hut build

I am going to erect a Quonset hut which will be my residence (I'm going to live in it (New from SteelMaster). My question is how to attach 2 X 4 to the arches of the hut. According to steel master, they suggest some type
of coupling nut, threaded rods, countersinking a bolt nut into the 2 X 4, cutting excess of threaded rod, etc. etc. Surely there is an easier way to attach the wood to the metal. I can imagine it would take 20 minuets per attachment point on the 2 X 4. (i.e.) it will take an hour to attach a 12 ft 2 X 4. Considering 16" centers/ 2 X 4, thats A LOT of time, effort and energy in order to attach about 60 12 foot 2 X 4's I'll be running the 2 X 4 Vertically @ 16" centers Any suggestions?

joshua4511111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #2

Quonset hut build

If you Google "quonset hut homes" you will find all the information you can possibly want.

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #3

Quonset hut build

I did... I have looked all over most Quonset hut sites but still have not found how to attach without all 'the stuff' and labor involved. Again any suggestions would be appreciated
Old 08-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #4

Quonset hut build

Your profile doesn't say where you live. Most locations require a building permit (or several) to construct a house. If so, you're going to need a set of construction drawings (blueprints) to submit for approval. I suggest you hire an architect or engineer to figure out how to build this thing instead of trying to do it yourself. They could also do the blueprints for you.

If I read your post correctly, you want to attach the wall studs directly to the metal walls. That is probably not a good idea - condensation on the metal would rot them out in short order.

Last edited by md2lgyk; 08-30-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:43 AM   #5

Quonset hut build

I live in Missouri and am aware of all the blueprinting and red tap I need to do to be in compliance.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
Mod

Quonset hut build

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua4511111 View Post
I'll be running the 2 X 4 Vertically @ 16" centers
This is the part I don't get, isn't the majority of the structure curved?

Post a link to the actual hut you're working with.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #7

Quonset hut build

Well you can do this. Build the walls and ceiling to be free standing use 2x6 not 2x4 make shortened truss for the ceiling to give the ceiling some strenght. Basicly build a box in a half tube.
Nailbags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #8

Quonset hut build

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
This is the part I don't get, isn't the majority of the structure curved?

Post a link to the actual hut you're working with.
No, its not 'a semicircular design... Its their A model (strait side walls, curved at 'bend', then another flat section, the top and down the other side. . Hence I am guessing that 60-70 percent is 'flat surface' (3 major 'bends or curves in the sheet metal.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #9

Quonset hut build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
Well you can do this. Build the walls and ceiling to be free standing use 2x6 not 2x4 make shortened truss for the ceiling to give the ceiling some strenght. Basicly build a box in a half tube.
I thought about that. The only concern is that I will be losing a minimum of 12 inches (for 6"walls) in addition to the 10"wall thickness) . WHile I think I will be OK (I am buying a 32 foot wide building rather then a 30 foot wide building for just that reason and "just in case"... The walls are 10" in thickness (corregated steel), I am thinking I will 'end up' with 30 ft. 6 inch of usable space for the width
Old 09-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #10

Quonset hut build

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua4511111 View Post
I live in Missouri and am aware of all the blueprinting and red tap I need to do to be in compliance.
OK, then back to my original suggestion: have your engineer or architect (whoever's doing your blueprints) figure out how to do what you're asking about. You could spend a lot of time figuring something out, only to learn it's wrong or otherwise unacceptable.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #11

Quonset hut build

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
OK, then back to my original suggestion: have your engineer or architect (whoever's doing your blueprints) figure out how to do what you're asking about. You could spend a lot of time figuring something out, only to learn it's wrong or otherwise unacceptable.
One problem with your suggestion (having the architect/engineer provide input. The architect 'draws pretty pictures to scale'... and in my case has referred me to Steel Master and he said, "They should be able to help you there... (he hires others to do his home repairs and has not erected or know anyone who have put them up).. He just said they are structural good in storms/herricaines/tornatos because there is NO LIP (Roof) for the winds to 'catch to peal away shingle, gutters, plywood, etc).. That was his input... Go To Steel Master.
As I explained Steel-master does have engineers and have a rather complicated way of 'attaching via extensions, threaded rods, countersunk holes, grinding off excess rod, etc. etc. etc. (VERY TIME CONSUMING)...

Appreciate your input... I keep trying to 'figure this out'.. Like I said, I'm ordering a slightly larger building IN CASE I have to 'build a box inside a semicircular shell. I was just hoping to save that money that I would spend on framing with 2 X 6's, etc. etc. for other things
Old 09-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #12

Quonset hut build

Find a new architect. Fast.
eclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #13

Quonset hut build

Hi, I don't know if this will help but I'm building an earth sheltered home that is all curves with barrel vaulted walls. I had a sheet metal guy make metal channels to fit the 2 X 4 & 2 X 6 wall framing to the curved walls. In our case, I ramset the channels into the concrete walls. You could use some sort of metal fastener. You can see an example of how I did this on a recent entry on our building blog www.dragonflyhill.org
BTW, before we designed our earth sheltered home, I designed a couple of homes based on Quonset building components.

Cheers
CreativeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:09 AM   #14

Quonset hut build

Here are some pictures of how we attached framing to a curved wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Quonset hut build-image-1401922862.jpg   Quonset hut build-image-1752192166.jpg  

CreativeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quonset hut, steel building, wood to steel