Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2009, 12:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

quikrete deck forms

I am using quikrete concrete mix for deck footers. How long after I pour the footers, can I actually start building the frame on them?? I was thinking a day, but do I need to wait until they totally cure? The footers are 3feet deep, 8in wide.

Also note, I wont actually put the rest of the decking/railing on for at least a week or so (work constraints/weekend activities!).

Thanks in advance.

redroc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:29 AM   #2
Renovation Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

quikrete deck forms

So why not just set the posts and call er good because if you plan on setting the frame you may tend to rush the job?

Paragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:58 AM   #3
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

quikrete deck forms

Concrete reaches it's maximum psi in 28 days. We frame our decks on temporary supports so as not to get held up waiting for inspections and curing times. Normally for the application you are doing we allow 24-72 hours before removing the temporary supports. Note if your building on columns make sure they are 6" above finish grade and use stainless steel post brackets and fasteners type 304 or better.
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:13 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

quikrete deck forms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARI001 View Post
....use stainless steel post brackets and fasteners type 304 or better.
Stainless? Although that would be the best/ideal product I'm unaware of a requirement for stainless hardware. Is there one in your locality ARI001? I can see it being more important in saltwater environments but around here we never see stainless deck hardware.

redroc25, I'd have no concerns with building on the posts 48 hours after they're placed. The concrete will get stronger over time and reaches the majority of its strength after a month. Just give it a few days before having a party for 30 of your friends on the deck.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:32 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10
Thumbs up

quikrete deck forms

Thanks for your help, this has helped. As a DIY'er on this project, dont know why I didnt think of the temp supports.

As for the brackets, they are required here for the code, so all your answers helped/appear reasonable!

Enjoy your weekend, I'll be back.

Thanks again for your quick response.
Adam
redroc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

quikrete deck forms

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Stainless? Although that would be the best/ideal product I'm unaware of a requirement for stainless hardware. Is there one in your locality ARI001? I can see it being more important in saltwater environments but around here we never see stainless deck hardware.
KC,

It depends on where you are working in the state as to whether or not stainless is required. I use them on columns because of corrosion issues associated with copper and galvanized treated fasteners. That is not a bracket you want to have to replace 6 months down the road. If it's not required in the locality I am working I leave it up to the client as far as the rest of the hangers and fasteners. If they want to upgrade I will, if they don't I'll install galvanized. If they opt to use galvanized I do have a disclaimer stating that the preservatives in the wood can cause premature fastener and hanger failure and that it is their responsibility to inspect the structure at regular intervals for signs of fastener failure. Obviously we will only replace fasteners and hangers that corrode during the warranty period.
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:26 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

quikrete deck forms

ARI001, got it. Makes sense to use them in the impossible-to-replace locations such as post bases. I'd sure hate to get the bill for how much stainless bases cost though!

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction, deck, footer, quikrete