DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

quikrete deck forms

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Termite 
#1 ·
I am using quikrete concrete mix for deck footers. How long after I pour the footers, can I actually start building the frame on them?? I was thinking a day, but do I need to wait until they totally cure? The footers are 3feet deep, 8in wide.

Also note, I wont actually put the rest of the decking/railing on for at least a week or so (work constraints/weekend activities!).

Thanks in advance.:whistling2:

#3 ·
Concrete reaches it's maximum psi in 28 days. We frame our decks on temporary supports so as not to get held up waiting for inspections and curing times. Normally for the application you are doing we allow 24-72 hours before removing the temporary supports. Note if your building on columns make sure they are 6" above finish grade and use stainless steel post brackets and fasteners type 304 or better.

#4 ·
....use stainless steel post brackets and fasteners type 304 or better.
Stainless? Although that would be the best/ideal product I'm unaware of a requirement for stainless hardware. Is there one in your locality ARI001? I can see it being more important in saltwater environments but around here we never see stainless deck hardware.

redroc25, I'd have no concerns with building on the posts 48 hours after they're placed. The concrete will get stronger over time and reaches the majority of its strength after a month. Just give it a few days before having a party for 30 of your friends on the deck.

#5 ·
thanks!

Thanks for your help, this has helped. As a DIY'er on this project, dont know why I didnt think of the temp supports.

As for the brackets, they are required here for the code, so all your answers helped/appear reasonable!

Enjoy your weekend, I'll be back.

Thanks again for your quick response.
Adam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.