Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Quick Release Fence Post

Hi Everyone,

I've been searching all over google for a quick release fence post sleeve.

What I want is some type of sleeve that goes in the concrete with the fence post. And then, when the fence post rots or becomes bad, I can just remove the fence post with the quick release, and pop in a new fence post. This way, I can just leave the sleeve and concrete in the ground instead of having to remove the fence post and concrete with it.

Does anything like this exist? If so, are there any links that someone can provide me?

Also, do you know of something that would do the job of allowing me to simply remove the fence post and replace it without having to also remove the concrete?

Look forward to your responses!

JasonCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,000

Quick Release Fence Post

What are you using for fence post that there rotting off? I''ve got 4 X 4 post that are still fine after 10 years.
Your can buy vinyl post covers and pore around them. If the post ever needs replacing you can just lift out the post.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:07 AM   #3

Quick Release Fence Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
What are you using for fence post that there rotting off? I''ve got 4 X 4 post that are still fine after 10 years.
Your can buy vinyl post covers and pore around them. If the post ever needs replacing you can just lift out the post.
It's just like yours, a 4 x 4 post. Mine has been in the ground for over 10 years, but the post itself has rotted. Now if I planned things out better, which I didn't, I would have been able to just pull out the post and put in a new one. Instead, I have to pull out the fence post and the concrete with it.

Also, in one area of my property, termites took a liking to one of the fence post as well as fence boards. So the 4 x 4 post has holes through it. If I could have just unlocked something, pulled the post out, and popped in a new one then that would have been great.

I like the idea of vinyl post covers except that it seems someone can just come by and pull the fence up if they wanted. I rather have a way to lock it in place. I guess something that would have my interest would be some galvanized steel sleeve just because it would seem more solid.

Perhaps there are other ideas?
Old 02-13-2012, 12:19 AM   #4

Quick Release Fence Post

There is no such thing and galvinized will just rust out if it's install below ground overtime.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:01 AM   #5

Quick Release Fence Post

Quote:
There is no such thing and galvinized will just rust out if it's install below ground overtime.
How about aluminum? I'm just searching for other ideas.

If anyone else has any great ideas for this, please let me know!
Old 02-13-2012, 01:17 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Quick Release Fence Post

10 years is a lot to be thinking ahead, you might decide to change up the whole landscape in that time.

One thought is this stuff I found on the web the other day, looked interesting:

Never tried it, but looks like it saves some time vs. concrete.
juryduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:15 AM   #7

Quick Release Fence Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by juryduty View Post
10 years is a lot to be thinking ahead, you might decide to change up the whole landscape in that time.

One thought is this stuff I found on the web the other day, looked interesting:

Never tried it, but looks like it saves some time vs. concrete.
Yeah, I saw that on you tube too. I am just not sure how stable that would be over the long term. But, it sure does look interesting. I have considered ordering it just for something to play with.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:17 AM   #8

Quick Release Fence Post

Quote:
Actually that's not such a bad idea. I suppose I could care less if the vinyl deterioration. It would still allow me to pull out the post once the concrete dries. At least I would tend to believe so.

I suppose I could build some kind of locking mechanism into the concrete near the post to keep it secure.

I haven't found a good place to order vinyl post covers. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know! Thanks!
Old 02-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #9

Quick Release Fence Post

Why would you order them? Any Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, most lumber yards will stock them.