Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #1

Share |

Quick Question on Furring Strips

Hi,

Do I need to put little vertical pieces between the horizontal pieces at the ends of the walls?

Thanks!
Pete

Name:  ForumRunner_20130119_121607.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  38.8 KB

pete0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:36 AM   #2

what is going on here, pete? ready to drywall? when i see visqueen, i get nervous. is it necessary (code)? if you are not familiar w/ the thinking thereon, you may want to read this: http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...vapor-retarder
have a good one.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:51 AM   #3

Hope your not planing on hanging drywall over those strips.
Notice how there all spliting already, what's going to happen to them when you add more screws.
Strapping really should have been ran across the top, along the bottom with a wide enough strip that the baseboard can be attached, 1/2" up off the floor, on the ends then fill in the rest.
The ones in the middle really should have been vertical not horizontal.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #4

jklingel: This is an outside wall, R22, no vapor barrier other than what you see. The room is going to be used as a dog grooming room and will have moisture in it most days so I want to prevent moist air from getting into the walls on days like today for example where it's going to be 0*F tonight. This wall is the upper half of the wall which is above grade. The lower half has 2" of XPS on the concrete with a stud wall in front...there will not be an interior VB there.

Joe, the furring strips are for noise reduction, that is why they're installed perpendicular to the studs. I understand what you're saying about the splitting though...It's not optimal and with more screws it might fail altogether (I feel like kind of an idiot now).

I'll look into resilient channels instead of the furring.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete0403 View Post
jklingel: This is an outside wall, R22, no vapor barrier other than what you see. The room is going to be used as a dog grooming room and will have moisture... OK. A vb may be helpful then. If interested, buildingscience.com has a lot of info on insulating moist rooms, like pools and weed gardens. If the strips are for noise, I don't think they'll buy you much. Can you double sheetrock it (let the fun begin....). Did you tape or goo the joints on the XPS? Is there a gap between the new wall inside it and the XPS? There should not be a gap, if possible.
See after bullets.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #6

Thanks! XPS joints are goo and tapped. There is a gap between the interior wall and the xps since the surface wasn't plumb.

I'm going to HD to check out more options with metal furring channels.