Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Quick help please! Leaking around sliding door (photos of problem)

Hi,
I'm in need of some suggestions please. Previous homeowner installed a sliding door by cutting an opening into a brick house. I'm having some leaking directly beneath the door into the basement.

They installed some sort of stepping ledge out of the house onto and caulked around it. I pulled the "ledge" away and see the top of the brick, as well as some fiberglass insulation. It looks like they didn't both to install any sort of flashing or felt to prevent leaks.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Can you suggest what I should do here please?

From inside the house, you can see the bricks, the deck, and the treated board installed as a ledge:

From the outside, can see insulation:

From outside, can see insulation and subfloor:

met152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
Mod

The door needs to be pulled and reinstalled on top of a door pan flashing.

It looks like you have some grading issues too if that deck is just built into the dirt like it looks like.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
12penny (11-19-2011), concretemasonry (11-19-2011)
Old 11-19-2011, 11:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
The door needs to be pulled and reinstalled on top of a door pan flashing.

It looks like you have some grading issues too if that deck is just built into the dirt like it looks like.
Unfortunately pulling the door and reinstalling isn't an option, even if it's the proper way to do it. I will look for some flashing and try to install as best as I can.

The deck is raised about 10ft about the ground. The dirt and debris is just stuff that's accumulated or what the previous owner didn't clean up before installing the door.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by met152 View Post
Unfortunately pulling the door and reinstalling isn't an option, even if it's the proper way to do it. I will look for some flashing and try to install as best as I can.

The deck is raised about 10ft about the ground. The dirt and debris is just stuff that's accumulated or what the previous owner didn't clean up before installing the door.
Why isn't pulling the door an option? You asked what the proper way to fix it is and were told the proper way how to fix it. There is no way you can flash it properly without pulling the door.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
journeyman carpenter

kwik is right, the door pan method is the only way. and as far as i know it is going to be mandatory as per code for both windows and doors very soon if it isnt already

the photo looks like the door was installed to the wrong face of the wall as well. looks like they set it to the inside face of the wall instead of the outside because of the brick veneer
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
Why isn't pulling the door an option? You asked what the proper way to fix it is and were told the proper way how to fix it. There is no way you can flash it properly without pulling the door.
Point well taken. I understand that would be the proper way. I guess I'm looking for the next best thing.
Pulling the door isn't really an option due to a number of factors.

If you can believe it, a bead of caulk has prevented the leaking up until a couple months ago when it weakened and peeled away.

I was hoping that some flashing tape or something similar would be work better than nothing.

I appreciate the advice and suggesting the proper method.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Point well taken. I understand that would be the proper way. I guess I'm looking for the next best thing.

If you can believe it, a bead of caulk has prevented the leaking up until a couple months ago when it weakened and peeled away.

I was hoping that some flashing tape or something similar would be work better than nothing.

I understand pulling the door is alot of work but putting a band-aid on it will not fix it. Doing it the right way is the only way. You can try what you want and hope for the best until it leaks next time.
woodworkbykirk (11-19-2011)
Old 11-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #8

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

With that type of installation, you can be sure the sides and top are not flashed properly, so what leakage you are seeing maybe from those areas and just showing up at the bottom.

A conservative estimate is that 60% of all doors and windows are installed improperly (including contract installs). That is why some builders do not have their own carpenters install windows and doors and sub that out to certified window installers.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #9
KemoSabe

Quote:
Hi,
I'm in need of some suggestions please. Previous homeowner installed a sliding door by cutting an opening into a brick house. I'm having some leaking directly beneath the door into the basement.

They installed some sort of stepping ledge out of the house onto and caulked around it. I pulled the "ledge" away and see the top of the brick, as well as some fiberglass insulation. It looks like they didn't both to install any sort of flashing or felt to prevent leaks.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Can you suggest what I should do here please?

From inside the house, you can see the bricks, the deck, and the treated board installed as a ledge:

From the outside, can see insulation:

From outside, can see insulation and subfloor:
Quote:

Quote:

Your position is exactly why you are in your situation. There are no quick fixes that will solve your problem. That looks like an Andersen gliding patio door. They are not self flashing doors. (neither are any other doors on the planet to my knowledge). They need to be properly flashed in conjunction with the weather resistive barrier. There are so many things wrong with that installation, you have no choice BUT to remove the door and install properly. Anyone who tells you otherwise should be held accountable for his/her advice on the matter.
woodworkbykirk (11-19-2011)
Old 11-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #10

Pull the door and re-install it the proper way. There is no other way to do it!
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
Your position is exactly why you are in your situation. There are no quick fixes that will solve your problem. That looks like an Andersen gliding patio door. They are not self flashing doors. (neither are any other doors on the planet to my knowledge). They need to be properly flashed in conjunction with the weather resistive barrier. There are so many things wrong with that installation, you have no choice BUT to remove the door and install properly. Anyone who tells you otherwise should be held accountable for his/her advice on the matter.
I'm not sure it's fair to say that my not being able to pull the door and reinstall at this time is the reason that I'm in this situation. The door was installed by the previous owner and this water penetration just showed up on the inside about a week ago. I had a feeling the door wasn't installed properly before I pulled the board today, but this obviously confirmed it.

Even though I understand it's only a bandaid fix, that's the best I can do at this time. This is something I'll have to revisit sometime next year, unless the leaking continues or gets worse.

You are correct it is an Anderson gliding door.

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions to pull the door. I really appreciate the quick responses from everyone.

Mike
Old 11-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #12
Framing Contractor

Quote:

Even though I understand it's only a bandaid fix, that's the best I can do at this time. This is something I'll have to revisit sometime next year, unless the leaking continues or gets worse.
It's leaking now, doesn't matter if the leak gets worse. The water is still coming in you have to address it now. Am I missing something?
Old 11-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #13
Mod

He’ll put a Band-Aid on it, goop it up real good and think it’s fixed because he can’t see the water (out of site out of mind) and will return later posting on how to fix a rotted floor.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #14

"I'm not sure it's fair to say that my not being able to pull the door and reinstall at this time is the reason that I'm in this situation. The door was installed by the previous owner and this water penetration just showed up on the inside about a week ago. I had a feeling the door wasn't installed properly before I pulled the board today, but this obviously confirmed it."-------

It's good that you checked in to that and now you know to pull the door when your circumstances permit it. Family matters, loss of income, disability, time constraints, etc. affect us all. We want/need to do what is correct yet are sometimes unable to.

Even though I understand it's only a bandaid fix, that's the best I can do at this time. This is something I'll have to revisit sometime next year, unless the leaking continues or gets worse."----- Now you know where we are makes it easy to visit us again.

My band-aid fix: Buy some roll flashing at a box store, make a paper template, cut and install it under the existing (in place) door sill. Pattern the template to bend up under the sill within 1/8" of the underside, against the subfloor-- a 1/2" or 1/4" bend at the bottom (outside edge) to drip water between the deck boards gap- one board away from the house. Install some Grace window wrap from the new pan flash to the top of jamb (each side) folding a length of backer rod for expansion/contraction in the middle, adhering the other edge to the wood jamb against the brick. Other option is backer rod with caulking in front of it with an "hour-glass shape" allows for wood/vinyl differences in movement; http://www.coastalcontractor.net/article/117.html The caulking is free to move and stretch rather than adhered at both ends and in the middle. This is a temporary fix, my answer to your post #3, hope it keeps you dry.

Gary
DrHicks (11-20-2011), met152 (11-19-2011), Tom Struble (11-19-2011)
Old 11-19-2011, 10:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron
He’ll put a Band-Aid on it, goop it up real good and think it’s fixed because he can’t see the water (out of site out of mind) and will return later posting on how to fix a rotted floor.
Is it really necessary to be such an --- in your response? Most of the responses have been helpful, which is what I thought was the intent of this forum.

It's not a matter of the floor rotting since it was leaking behind the brick (maybe past the rim joist) and in between the screen door and the steel door. Recently that water made it's way to the interior and I noticed a small amount of water dripping from the ceiling just above the interior door casing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post

My band-aid fix: Buy some roll flashing at a box store, make a paper template, cut and install it under the existing (in place) door sill. Pattern the template to bend up under the sill within 1/8" of the underside, against the subfloor-- a 1/2" or 1/4" bend at the bottom (outside edge) to drip water between the deck boards gap- one board away from the house. Install some Grace window wrap from the new pan flash to the top of jamb (each side) folding a length of backer rod for expansion/contraction in the middle, adhering the other edge to the wood jamb against the brick. Other option is backer rod with caulking in front of it with an "hour-glass shape" allows for wood/vinyl differences in movement; http://www.coastalcontractor.net/article/117.html The caulking is free to move and stretch rather than adhered at both ends and in the middle. This is a temporary fix, my answer to your post #3, hope it keeps you dry.

Gary
Gary, thank you for the most helpful response. I picked up some Vycor Plus today at HD. I wrapped it up under the existing sill and down away from the house. It's clear that some here don't agree with my fix for the time being, but I'm fairly confident this will eliminate my problem. As it was, the water only appeared after a heavy rain and I believe this just started.

Unfortunately it has become clear to me that the previous owner cut a lot of corners in his "repairs" and "improvements." I believe he installed 3 other exterior doors and they were probably all done in a similar manner. Lucky for me I haven't found any problems with the other doors... yet.

Thanks again for your reply.

Last edited by Gary in WA; 11-20-2011 at 09:47 PM. Reason: As per forum rules, "Treat others with respect".