Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2012, 11:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Quick Garden Shed Foundation Question

Hey guys, hoping someone here can help me as I haven't been able to find a definite answer after using Google for an hour or so.. I am building a storage shed (Suncast 7.5x10 resin shed) foundation out of PT 2x6's to the size of 8'x10.5' with 3/4" PT Plywood as the flooring. I am putting this foundation 'skid' up on "Deck Piers" with 3 piers on each side, for a total of 12. The question being, do you guys think I will need a pier under each 2x6 "joist" spanning the 8ft section of the floor? Image:

The red marks is where I originally planned on putting piers.. Do you guys think that is sufficient, or do you think I should also add piers where the blue marks are..?? Things going in here will be relatively lite.. snowblower, garden tools, yard table.. etc.. Thanks for your help!
(Local code has no requirements for shed foundations.. just need a permit so the city knows I am doing it..)

casper129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,110

What do you plan on storing in that shed?
If it's no more then a lawn mower then you should need all those center supports. Make sure to frame it up so the floor does not stick out past the walls of the shed.
Concider using pressure treated 5/4 decking instead of Plywood.
Any time I see pressure treated plywood even in the stores it's already delaminating or molding up.

Hope you not in a high wind area. I've hauled away a few of those cheap plastic sheds after a wind storm.

They tend to degrade from UV rays over time.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:24 AM   #3

It shouldn't be too bad as it's shielded by two pine trees it will be right up against.. And you're saying make the deck no bigger than the size of the shed? The instructions that came with the shed kit have me building it 6" larger on all sides than the walls.. Also, did you mean shouldn't need the center supports if I only plan on no more than a lawnmower? Heaviest thing would be a 22" snowblower.. the rest would just be tools and garden stuff..
Old 04-17-2012, 12:34 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,110

http://www.awc.org/calculators/span/...rcalcstyle.asp

Here's a span chart showing how far the joist your using can span unsupported.

Making the floor larger then the shed is a sure way to have water getting in under the walls.
You want the water to run down the walls and past the floor without touching the rim joist.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:40 AM   #5

Ok.. I'll look into that. The shed has a rubber like flooring that goes underneath the walls, on top of the wood.. But I would imagine that any moisture pooling underneath the shed floor would be bad.. Also, good call on the 5/4. Never even thought of it. It would actually be cheaper for me to get some quality 5/4 than the 3/4 ply that I did get.. that looks like crap from the store, like you said..