Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Questions on round corner shower kit

I am finishing my basement, and I selected the shower kit linked below:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_422017-332-4...2386&rpp=32&y=

I spoke with my plumber, and he found that the drain needs to go 7 3/4" in each direction from the corner. I hired him to do just that, and he did it.

I then got the kit, laid it down, and the drain lined up with the hole, which is good.

The problem is that as I read the instruction manual, it turns out that the shower kit is meant to be installed over 1/2" moisture resistant drywall, and I'm starting from the ground up - that is, the walls are currently stud walls.

The drain fits in the drain hole now, but I think that if I have to install drywall first, the drain will no longer fit. Neither I nor my contractor took into account the drywall that was supposed to be installed.

Moreoever, my inspections department says I cannot install drywall until I get my rough plumbing done, and I can't get that done until I put in the drain pan.

I contacted the manufacturer, and they confirmed that the unit is supposed to be installed over drywall. They did recommend another of their units that is installed over stud walls, but the only units I found had very poor reviews and don't have a drain hole that lines up with the one I installed, and I damn sure don't want to have it redone.

So, I'm a bit stuck.

But then I looked at the kit and the install guide , and as far as I can tell, the drywall is recommended, not required, and the shower doesn't actually attach or rest against the drywall - it's attached to wood trim that goes around the corner of the shower walls, and i can certainly attach that to the studs. I cannot think of any particular reason I cannot simply use the unit as it is and attach it to a drywall skeleton.

I think that moisture may be an issue, so I've thought of treating the wood to make it waterproof or putting up some decently think plastic drop cloth over the wood and putting the shower over that to keep out moisture.

Can anyone tell me what the moisture resistant drywall does? Why is it required? And is there some way to simulate its effects? And is there any fundamental reason a shower kit cannot be attached to studs instead of drywall?

Never done this before, so I'm looking for pitfalls I'm not seeing.

Thanks.

Last edited by pobrien; 12-19-2013 at 08:36 AM.
pobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #2

I've installed a couple of these things. The drywall does not go between the base and the studs. The base is nailed directly to the studs; the drywall is attached so that the bottom of it overhangs the flange on the base. This provides rigidity for the shower walls, which are probably plastic. It may be prudent to shim the studs out a bit to avoid the slight bend where the drywall overlaps.

May be too late, but here's some free advice: do NOT put in a corner shower like that - you will ultimately hate it and never use it. I put one in one of our houses because the wife saw it in a magazine and just had to have it. It had real glass doors, and probably cost several times what yours did (around $2200 as I recall). The two main problems?? One, it was nearly impossible to keep clean and looking nice without completely wiping the doors dry after every use. And two (worse), the way the doors opened, it was impossible to reach in and turn on the water to let it warm up without soaking yourself and the floor. One of our daughters now owns that house, and she doesn't use that shower either.

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
I've installed a couple of these things. The drywall does not go between the base and the studs. The base is nailed directly to the studs; the drywall is attached so that the bottom of it overhangs the flange on the base. This provides rigidity for the shower walls, which are probably plastic. It may be prudent to shim the studs out a bit to avoid the slight bend where the drywall overlaps.

May be too late, but here's some free advice: do NOT put in a corner shower like that - you will ultimately hate it and never use it. I put one in one of our houses because the wife saw it in a magazine and just had to have it. It had real glass doors, and probably cost several times what yours did (around $2200 as I recall). The two main problems?? One, it was nearly impossible to keep clean and looking nice without completely wiping the doors dry after every use. And two (worse), the way the doors opened, it was impossible to reach in and turn on the water to let it warm up without soaking yourself and the floor. One of our daughters now owns that house, and she doesn't use that shower either.
If you look at the link to the installation guide, it actually does specify that the drywall goes inbetween the base and the stud wall, though I have seen one that does not. Though, I am really not seeing the reason for this.

As for the corner shower itself, I do have some regrets and with I could have put in a larger shower, but the truth is it is a very small bathroom, and I didn't really have room for anything else.
pobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #4

Well, then, I guess it is what it is. Hope you and your family have a better experience with the thing than mine did with ours. Are the doors frosted? If so, they'll probably be easier to keep clean-looking than the clear glass ones I had.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobrien View Post
If you look at the link to the installation guide, it actually does specify that the drywall goes inbetween the base and the stud wall, though I have seen one that does not. Though, I am really not seeing the reason for this.
I believe each kit is different based on the manufacturer. Yours may require it for a multitude of reasons. Perhaps it is needed for rigidity.
JKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:21 AM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 22

It sounds like you have three choices---

Reframe the walls --1/2" back

Open the floor and move the drain

Choose a different shower enclosure
Old 12-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #7

I was going to suggest a different shower too. I suspect a neo-angle unit would fit and, since they have only one door (I think), you could turn on and adjust the water without getting sprayed.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #8
K&B Designer

Option 4, don't do a kit at all. Do something custom with the correct slope for the drain location. Maybe even do a wet room if the room is small. It will be much better than a cramped corner shower. All it takes is being able to do the math to get the slope right, some cement board, Redgard, and some pretty tile.

You'll get a better look, better function, and if you choose economical tile, it won't be that expensive either.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:27 AM   #9
In a little over my head

Rip some studs to 3 inches wide and sister to your existing studs. 1/2" back. Cut drywall to 14.5 inch strips and install between the studs.

ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ratherbefishing For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-23-2013)