Questions Regarding Ledger Board Installation - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

questions regarding ledger board installation

Southern Calif - I am going to install a 17 ft long 2" by 8" ledger board to hold 4" by 6" beams every 6" for a wood patio. I saw a newer style wood patio on a home construction sight nearby and I liked it. It will extend from the side of fireplace to the right side corner of the bottom of 2nd story. In the catalog for Simpson Strong Tie Deck Connections and Fastening Guide they insist that the stucco be removed and fasten ledger directly to the rim joist.
1.) The stucco is easy to remove so if no one disagrees here then I am going to do it. If anyone has a different opinion would you let me know.
2.) I am not sure what size/length lag bolts are used on something like this but if anyone knows or has suggestions I would like to hear from you.
3.) Also how far apart are those bolts centered?
4.) The ledger is going right above the areas in the picture where I removed stucco/opened walls on each end.
Attached Thumbnails
questions regarding ledger board installation-house-floor-plans-050.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by Pawl; 04-27-2013 at 09:59 PM. Reason: wrong picture
Pawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,206

questions regarding ledger board installation

Your local building department will review the plans you submit for the permit and let you know what you need to do. Your requirements may differ from what most of us have seen since you live in the land of earthquakes.

Advertisement

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote