Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2010, 07:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Questions home addition in Maryland

Hi everyone, I have been looking into building onto my home and have a basic floor plan to have builders come and bid on. My foundation and stone work would be done by my Father-inlaw because he did my original home and can do it cheaper than anyone could. One remodeler i spoke with on the phone seemed to not want to bid the job unless he did it start to finish. After talking it over and name dropping he has no problem building on his foundation. I spoke with a second builder and after telling him the company he had no problem with building on his foundations. The second builder was even willing to work with me on allowing me to do my own flooring. I can understand the concers builders/remodelers have with not using their own subcontractors because it could possibly hold their timelne up if they had to wait on an electrician i hired.

I have 2 remodelers coming by this weekend to look at the job. So my questions are would a liscensed remodeler beable to build my addition and make it weather proof, meaning siding and shingles and frame up the interior remodeling and have it inspected. Then pull his building permit and i obtain my own and have my friends and family comein and do their work on pluming, electric, drywall, hvac and so on? The remodeler would still be getting work just on a smaller scale. Would remodeleres normaly do something like this. I can understand wanting to do something start to finish but if having them contract out all the work and it puts me over my budget there is no addition at all and i would need to have my friends and faimly do these trades to cut costs.

From talking to builders it seems in maryland you have to have a remodelers liscense to build onto an existing structure and to change the floor plan of a home. Could the remodelerer make these changes then leave it to me to have the rest inspected?

Redmanjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

Questions home addition in Maryland

In NY, whoever pulls the permit is responsible for the inspections, save the plumbing and electric. All the inspections, except the final walk through, are done when the drywall in up.
In many locations, only licensed plumbers and electricians are allowed to pull permits, because you can only do the work if you're licensed and insured. You would need to check your local building department for their rules.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
Redmanjd (07-17-2010)