Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #1

Share |

Questions for a fixer upper improvements.

Hi,

I am looking at a fixer upper home that was built in 1965 and I am trying to get estimates on repairs before I decide to purchase it.

It has cedar siding that is in bad shape as well as the roof.

The home is a ranch style with a full basement. Dimensions are approximately 30x90.

I know it needs a new roof and needs some if not all the roofing boards replaced since it sags pretty badly in spots so I need an estimate on a new roof and boards.

I would like to replace the siding with hardi plank or something similar and will most likely apply tyvek for added insulation and will need a rough estimate for that also.

The water has leaked into the living room and there is a large section of sheetrock in the ceiling that needs replaced, possibly two 4x8 sheets will do it.

The home also has a 24'x40' garage that also needs a new roof shingled/ possible board replacement and new siding.
The walls are 12' tall.

I plan on getting a home inspector by to do a proper inspection and I will be there taking notes and asking questions........so what I really need to know is:
1. Estimate on a new roof/ boards.

2. Estimate on siding/tyvek replacement.

3. Estimate on replacing ceiling sheetrock in living room.

4. Estimate on new roof on garage.

5. Estimate on siding on garage.

I am looking to hire a crew that will do all of this work within a few weeks and tackle it all at once.

I am in North Georgia.

Thanks for looking.

jowint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
A Little Of Everything

Heckuva lot of variables and unknowns here.

1. House roof - all new sheeting & shingles could easily run you $10,000, depending especially on damage and/or type of shingles you want.
2. One of my sons, in Minneapolis, recently received a bid of $7,000 to replace the siding on his house and garage - probably a total of similar square footage to just your house. But they bid removal of old siding and replacement with high-end vinyl, not cement siding.
3. Sheet rock is relatively cheap IF that's all that's wrong. Unfortunately, if there's that kind of water damage, there's probably also mold & other problems in the attic. Could be as cheap as several hundred dollars, or as high as several thousand.
4. Garage roof & siding will be just a smaller percentage of the house.

I think you might be in for some very expensive surprises - not the least of which could be extensive mold & other water damage related issues.

I also think you're doing it right - moving ahead VERY cautiously. Don't fall in love with this house, and jump if you shouldn't. Good luck!

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #3

I would think you could get a better idea of what you might be looking at spending if you talk to contractors in your area. Prices vary so much on supplies and labor across the U.S. Check with your local BBB for names of contractors in your area. Talking with contractors in your area will help you to decide who you want to do the work for you and start building a relationship and I would think you could get free estimates.

www.picturetrail.com/mickey51

Last edited by m1951mm; 09-02-2011 at 10:36 AM.
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #4

Check the floor joists, and subfloor especially well, problems there can be a nightmare.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #5

These all need an onsite inspection by contractors. Internet numbers are irrelevant. It would be like a customer calling me up for an estimate, over the phone, to finish his basement.
It doesn't work like that.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
Stuck in the 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowint View Post
I plan on getting a home inspector by to do a proper inspection and I will be there taking notes and asking questions........
Have you chosen an inspector yet?

If not I would get one lined up myself.

1) Choose the inspector yourself. Letting your Realtor choose (or recommend) the inspector is a bit like letting your 17-year-old choose their own chaperone. You may not be looking for the same things. Your Realtor has a financial interest in making sure the sale goes through with as few hiccups as possible. OTOH, you more than likely want the pickiest one you can find.

2) Ask about their experience. Look for one with a strong background in the building trades, who grew up swinging a hammer. Not the fellow who recently made a career change and just completed one of those courses advertised on late night TV.

3) He is probably your best source for your answers. He is actually seeing the home (unlike us) and should be more aware of the local costs and contractors than anyone on this site.

More reading:
Home Inspectors and Realtors in Cahoots?
Blondesense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies.

I was also a bit concerned that the floor had some creeks while walking on it and the carpet was newly replaced with the most plush/ thick carpet I ever stepped on which kinda sent up some red flags.

Yes I was thinking the same thing about the possibility of mold in the rafters and will get a home inspection by a pro and I already have one lined up who was in construction for over 35 years.

I am definitely not getting emotionally attached to any house I look at but sadly the market here really sucks and pretty much every house I look at in my price range turns out to be a fixer upper or has some sort of flaw such as the bank refuses to fix the well......and please don't get me started on just how badly dealing with a Fannie Mae property is.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #8

Don't really understand the "market" response. In most of the country it's a buyers market. If you can't find a decent house now, you never will.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
DIY staff

Better be mighty cheap---the age of the house says to me----rotten plumbing and out dated electrical--

also little or no insulation.

Lots of good houses cheap right now--unless this has a fabulous lot or is dirt cheap ---pass.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Don't really understand the "market" response. In most of the country it's a buyers market. If you can't find a decent house now, you never will.
My home inspection went badly so I will have to pass on this home....found major repairs needed throughout so that one is a no go.

Believe me, I have found some nice houses, but either the house is nice and the neighborhood or surrounding area sucks or there is some major flaw or repair that will totally be too expensive.

I found a killer property with over 6 acres and made an offer, but dealing with those a-wipes at Fannie mae was like pulling teeth and it almost seemed like they did NOT want to sell me the house at all and would not fix something they said they would fix in the first place...they basically changed their mind and wanted me to fix it myself after i accepted their terms that they would fix it.....pretty messed up.

Also it seems like the realtor is not working for me but they are definitely working for the seller and don't give a rip what i want but keep trying to push me to buy every house I look at regardless.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Also it seems like the realtor is not working for me but they are definitely working for the seller and don't give a rip what i want but keep trying to push me to buy every house I look at regardless.
Realtors work for the seller. That's who pays their commission. They hire them to sell the property.
This may be the problem you're running into. A lack of understanding of the process.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Figure about the cost that you paid for it, would probably be in the lines to bring it up to date & code. What are the comp's in the area, where the house is at?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
These all need an onsite inspection by contractors. Internet numbers are irrelevant. It would be like a customer calling me up for an estimate, over the phone, to finish his basement.
It doesn't work like that.
Especially when they are asking for estimates, and the rule for this forum last time I checked, is no pricing given out. Nothing was ever stated that we could not have fun with them.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #14
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
My home inspection went badly so I will have to pass on this home....found major repairs needed throughout so that one is a no go.

Believe me, I have found some nice houses, but either the house is nice and the neighborhood or surrounding area sucks or there is some major flaw or repair that will totally be too expensive.

I found a killer property with over 6 acres and made an offer, but dealing with those a-wipes at Fannie mae was like pulling teeth and it almost seemed like they did NOT want to sell me the house at all and would not fix something they said they would fix in the first place...they basically changed their mind and wanted me to fix it myself after i accepted their terms that they would fix it.....pretty messed up.

Sorry to hear of the massive problems with that house, but glad you found out NOW!

As has been mentioned earlier, it is a Buyers' Market out there - or at least it should be! Sadly, a lot of lending institutions (along with increased government regulations) are making it practically impossible to get loans to buy homes. In some cases, it's downright asinine.

One of my sons was trying to buy a house last year, in Minneapolis. It was an incredible buy, as a fixer-upper. But the mortgage broker turned him into a circus monkey - having to paint a small patio out in the middle of the back yard, but paying no attention to the fact that the dead bolt was missing (yes, it was just the hole) in the front door, and that none of the windows in the house locked. It was absolutely ridiculous.

Good people are being denied mortgage loans for properties that are excellent values, thanks to our banks & government.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-03-2011)
Old 09-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #15
DIY staff

Just keep up the search----You can make money in these hard times if you find the right place---

Hang out here and learn a bit about house flaws and the ease or expanse of certain things.

You never mentioned your skills or desire to learn.

Are you planning to fix up a property or will you need to hire out all the work???