DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Questions on building a deck off patio

4K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  GBrackins 
#1 ·
I noticed in my neighbors yard the other day they have a nice deck covering their cement patio and extending to the end of the house and it got me really thinking about doing one myself. It isn't a very elaborate deck, just the platform with no railings. My house is on a slab and the area where I'd want to do the deck is a sloped. I'm not sure whats the best way about going about doing this. It isn't going to be a high deck, the distance from my door sill to the patio is only 5.5-6" and the area is about 28' x 10', or the area to the left of the patio is 16' x 10'. I don't think I'd connect it to the house, just build it right next to it. Heres a few pics of the slopped area and one of the whole backyard (that pic from in Jan so don't judge the awful grass)

And since my neighbors weren't home to ask to get pics of their deck I took this from one of my bedrooms.

See less See more
#2 ·
A few issues your going to be dealing with are, that looks like an exhost vent for a tankless water heater on that back wall.
Your going to have to check code on that to see how far away the deck needs to be away from it.
Any deck with no air flow under it is prone to molding up.
Looks like you would have to use a minimum of 2 X 8's for the rim joist so one end would have to be sitting on that concrete pad.
You not going to be able to build anywhere near the door if that's part of the plan. It's to low and would allow water in under the threshold.
If it was mine I would look into demoing the small slab and have a new stamped or exposted aggragate slab pored.

Reactions: concretemasonry
#7 ·
EClayton08,

As Joecaption said ventilation is key to the life of a deck. It appears you're not going to have much ventilation. Ventilation helps to remove moisture. As wood absorbs moisture it swells, when it dries (loses moisture) it shrinks. The top is exposed to the sun so it will dry quicker than the bottom of the joist. This could lead to cupping and warping of the joists. I have seen this problem with ground level decks. May be its just a problem in my area, but I doubt that.

I would recommend using pavers or stone tile and create a custom patio that is unique from what the neighbors have. Maybe a pergola or sunshade if you're looking for something you'd love to craft from wood. Make your neighbors say, "why didn't I think of that!"

Good luck with your project!

#9 ·
#10 ·
I think what you're suggesting is just adding tile to my existing cement patio, which my thing I was wanting to do was add a deck to the left of it which is grass now and possibly over the patio to extend my area and have a much bigger patio area for outside. I can't lay tile over grass or its current slope.

#11 ·
I've thought about this over night and really like the idea of just making the slab longer and adding stone tile to it. It seems I can have the slab extended 12x10 and that 12 would be right before my exhaust on the side of the house and right before the major slope of the yard. I think I'd go with building the pergola after that and maybe add the tile later since I can do that easily myself. The hard part will be picking out the best stone to add outside but I'll just have some of the girls in our showroom help with that.

I think it'd be best to have someone come out and do the patio instead of attempting it myself, I don't have the patience or tools to mess with such project. About what cost would I probably be looking at? Could they just add on to the current patio to save me on demo and adding to that side? Also how difficult would building the pergola be?

#12 ·
Yes, you can pour a slab next to the existing one. I'd add #4 (1/2") reinforcing dowels at about 24" center to center to connect the slabs. I'm sure if your family is in the tile business they know people that do flatwork (concrete slabs). The contractor should know what is typical for slab construction in your area. Could always check with the building department to see what their requirements/recommendations are. You may or may not need a permit, they would know. I have no idea what pricing would be for your area. Check with 3 contractors that routinely do flatwork and see what their pricing is.

It will give you the opportunity to showcase what your family's business can do. Could add an outdoor kitchen area (concrete block construction) overlaid with stone tile. Maybe some granite for the countertop. You are only limited by your imagination (or photos online).

As far as difficulty that depends on your skills and experience. They are fairly straight forward. I'm sure you can find a book at the library or big box store that will give you sketches/details on how to construct one.

I think you'll be a lot happier with the unique patio than with the ground level deck.

My existing deck is in need of repair (about 25 years old) and I'm considering taking it down and installing a patio instead. This way I can install stand-off post bases to connect the posts for my pergola to the slab.

Good luck!

#13 · (Edited)
here are a couple of photos of a project I designed using a patio with stone pavers. Small outdoor grill area with a fire pit overlooking their private beach. Firepit can use wood and has a gas burner for when you just want something quick or a short duration (just like a gas fireplace).

Again, only limited by your budget and imagination.

Good luck!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.