Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #1

Share |

Questions about western red cedar fence and installation.

Questions about western red cedar.

Hey guys just have a few questions about putting up a western red cadar fence. Im using materials from hoover fence and also have a question our two about there products. Also I live in minneapolis, minnesota and this will relate to a question later. Ill posts the questions up and if more info is need Just ask.
  1. I heard cedar should not be installed with cement as this causes premature rot is this true? If it is true then thats fine I have no problem with other solutions.
  2. If cement cant be used will pea gravel provide enough stability provided its buried deep enough? I actually prefer this method so basically just need confirmation from some experts that indeed I can place a 4x4 WRC posts with gravel going around it and it will be enough to keep the fence up .
  3. I live in minneapolis will 3 feet provide enough stability to a post thats gonna be 5 feet above ground, and will it be buried enough so the frost does not effect it? If not I can always go deeper.
  4. Hoover fence has something called a OZ post thats is basically a 36 inch anchor that goes into the ground so cement does not have to be used and basically I wanna know if these are strong enough to replace the cement method. (money is not a issue and anything that can help speed me up is always good ) Also will these be deep enough being in minnesota and all?
I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this and reply and want to say thanks.

Last edited by Okami; 07-23-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Missing stuff
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
Mod

1. Yes

2. I wouldn’t bury WRC. I’d use treated ground contact post and then wrap those post in 1x cedar above grade if you like.

3. Yes but not sure of your frost depth though so heaving may be an issue.

4. No.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #3

I’m pro gravel, no concrete under wood to rot: Using Quickrete For Fenceposts - Dry pour method

Gary
Old 07-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #4

I like metal posts (like what is used with chain link fence) set in mix-in-the-hole fast setting post concrete. There are brackets that will attach your horizontal boards to the metal posts. This setup lasts longer, is stronger, and just as quick and easy to install, IMHO.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Iím pro gravel, no concrete under wood to rot: Using Quickrete For Fenceposts - Dry pour method

Gary
Hey gary there is diffrent options here on the thread and I like the gravel method the best can you confirm that 3 - 4 feet of gravel around a WRC post with 4 inches on the bottom would provide enough support and keep the post from rotting since the water would drain away? Again thanks very much.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:53 PM   #6

Different soils = different amounts of water......... Read the links, check with your local B.D. As in one site, if standing water in a fresh dug hole, trench to drain. Research "perk test" and geo info. Find your local frost depth, eg- http://www.soundfootings.com/pdf/US_...t_DepthAVG.pdf

Gary
Old 07-28-2011, 12:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Different soils = different amounts of water......... Read the links, check with your local B.D. As in one site, if standing water in a fresh dug hole, trench to drain. Research "perk test" and geo info. Find your local frost depth, eg- http://www.soundfootings.com/pdf/US_...t_DepthAVG.pdf

Gary

Well for minneapolis the average is 45 and im doing 4 feet so should be good. The soil is very dark and chunky with small amounts of clay. Thanks everyone, I now know what to do with my fence im gonna put the post 4 feet down with 3 inches of gravel on the bottom.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:53 AM   #8
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
Well for minneapolis the average is 45 and im doing 4 feet so should be good. The soil is very dark and chunky with small amounts of clay. Thanks everyone, I now know what to do with my fence im gonna put the post 4 feet down with 3 inches of gravel on the bottom.
If you insist on burying you cedar post at least treat the below grade portion with Jasco or something similar.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
If you insist on burying you cedar post at least treat the below grade portion with Jasco or something similar.
Well I was gonna either do a spray on asphalt our seal it with something. Also someone told me it really doesnt need to be stained as the water will wash away since im using pea gravel but it should be sealed anyways just to make sure since it below ground correct?

Do you know if that jasco copper brown can be purchased at menards our home depot? I have also heard of this http://www.can-save.ca/products/buil...eflashingtapes Its a flash paper that sticks to the surface providing waterproofing.

Last edited by Okami; 07-29-2011 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Adding more info