Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
i carved this sword

Share |

question of wall framing

i have a question on wall framing, for exterior and interior walls, and its on what is the best way to do this if i would be doing all the building myself, (please see pic)

as you can see i have 2 examples, which is better? or does it matter? would the top one be allowed by code?
feralfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:53 PM   #2

question of wall framing

No reason for the extra stud on the top
Since you need 16" OC & 8' on centers for drywall etc bottom is the best way to go
Extra studs also transmit more cold from the outside
So better to have insulation instead of the stud
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
i carved this sword

question of wall framing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
No reason for the extra stud on the top
Since you need 16" OC & 8' on centers for drywall etc bottom is the best way to go
Extra studs also transmit more cold from the outside
So better to have insulation instead of the stud
thanks
Old 03-16-2010, 03:01 PM   #4

question of wall framing

I also go to 2x6 exterior walls & use R19 or R21 insulation
Old 03-16-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
I have gas!

question of wall framing

It probabaly doesn't matter but yYou may want to offset the top and bottom plate breaks.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:08 PM   #6
i carved this sword

question of wall framing

for framing rough opening doorways, would using a 2x6 work with cripples over the header? im guessing a header would be 2x, 1/2" plywood, 2x, 1/2, 2x, would that be right?
Old 03-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #7

question of wall framing

For headers I use triple headers & rigid insulation as the "middle" piece
Basically (2) 2x headers on the outside, then rigid foam, then the 3rd 2x on the inside

2x6 = 5 1/2"

(3) 2x's = (3) *1.5 + 1" rigid...or 1/2" sheathing & 1/2" rigid
Old 03-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #8
i carved this sword

question of wall framing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
For headers I use triple headers & rigid insulation as the "middle" piece
Basically (2) 2x headers on the outside, then rigid foam, then the 3rd 2x on the inside

2x6 = 5 1/2"

(3) 2x's = (3) *1.5 + 1" rigid...or 1/2" sheathing & 1/2" rigid
can headers and cripples be used together?
Old 03-16-2010, 07:13 PM   #9
Mod

question of wall framing

Very simple, Pic. # 2 "IS CORRECT".
Although I wouldn't line up the top and bottom plates.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 03-16-2010 at 07:17 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #10

question of wall framing

place your header to the outside and insulation to the inside so the inspector can see it.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:02 PM   #11

question of wall framing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
place your header to the outside and insulation to the inside so the inspector can see it.
Problem with that is screwing in drywall with 1" rigid on the inside
And anything else you might nail...trim might be a problem too
With 1 header on the inside you have something to screw/nail into
Old 03-16-2010, 09:33 PM   #12

question of wall framing

Make the header sit 1 1/2 inch higher and infill the top with an upper 'sill' piece on the flat. Do it all the time around here for doors and windows.
Attached Thumbnails
question of wall framing-screenshot-deltacad-window_framing.dc-.jpg  
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #13
i carved this sword

question of wall framing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
Make the header sit 1 1/2 inch higher and infill the top with an upper 'sill' piece on the flat. Do it all the time around here for doors and windows.
that pic answered my last question perfectly
Old 03-16-2010, 09:47 PM   #14

question of wall framing

"what is the best way to do this if i would be doing all the building myself," ------- I would use my wall jacks to raise the wall one piece. If not, either example is per code but #1 is easier and way quicker when working alone with a longer wall, pieced together. (Especially on a step ladder trying to line and nail a 12' high wall through the lower top plate, then add the upper plate, 4' minimum lap each way--- as in #2. In detail #2-- just subtract the required overhang top plate from the abutting wall, plus 1/4"- elbow room, hold the stud shy of the end at one wall- then when butting the two end studs the top plates tighten before the top ends of the studs, no toenails or forcing the joint tight). The top and bottom plate break placement are not important unless fasteners are missing, or too close to a partition or corner. The double top must now be offset from the break below it by 24", per code. Around here, the cripples are the short studs between the header and the 1st top plate, OR the short studs between the window sill and the bottom plate. As Jl said, place your header out-most with the header stamp readable from the inside (not covered by sheathing) for the inspector, later install the rigid insulation.
"For framing rough opening doorways, would using a 2x6 work with cripples over the header? im guessing a header would be 2x, 1/2" plywood, 2x, 1/2, 2x, would that be right?" ------- The header is rated for the opening as to loads it carries. Example of exterior wall: http://www.burlington.org/Building08/Spans.pdf Interior: http://ftp.resource.org/bsc.ca.gov/t...2_page0376.pdf The plywood is only a filler. Check with your local Building Department for current framing codes. Example of older codes: http://www.mcvicker.com/resguide/page011.htm

Be safe, Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:53 PM   #15
i carved this sword

question of wall framing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
"what is the best way to do this if i would be doing all the building myself," ------- I would use my wall jacks to raise the wall one piece. If not, either example is per code but #1 is easier and way quicker when working alone with a longer wall, pieced together. (Especially on a step ladder trying to line and nail a 12' high wall through the lower top plate, then add the upper plate, 4' minimum lap each way--- as in #2. In detail #2-- just subtract the required overhang top plate from the abutting wall, plus 1/4"- elbow room, hold the stud shy of the end at one wall- then when butting the two end studs the top plates tighten before the top ends of the studs, no toenails or forcing the joint tight). The top and bottom plate break placement are not important unless fasteners are missing, or too close to a partition or corner. The double top must now be offset from the break below it by 24", per code. Around here, the cripples are the short studs between the header and the 1st top plate, OR the short studs between the window sill and the bottom plate. As Jl said, place your header out-most with the header stamp readable from the inside (not covered by sheathing) for the inspector, later install the rigid insulation.
"For framing rough opening doorways, would using a 2x6 work with cripples over the header? im guessing a header would be 2x, 1/2" plywood, 2x, 1/2, 2x, would that be right?" ------- The header is rated for the opening as to loads it carries. Example of exterior wall: http://www.burlington.org/Building08/Spans.pdf Interior: http://ftp.resource.org/bsc.ca.gov/t...2_page0376.pdf The plywood is only a filler. Check with your local Building Department for current framing codes. Example of older codes: http://www.mcvicker.com/resguide/page011.htm

Be safe, Gary
i see you have something about dryers in your signature, we had a situation of that when i was still in highschool, dryer fire was (at that time) the scariest thing i saw