Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2008, 04:06 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Question: second story addition to existing room

hello. great threads, So, here's what i have, I just bought a small 1300sq ft house with a large addition tacked on to the back of it This addition in on a concrete slab, which is different from the rest of the house which is raised.
The addition is 28 X 15.

here's what we want to do:
1. raise the floor to the level of the rest of the house (bringing slab-level up to main house floor level about 2 feet)
2. then we want to remove the exiting ceiling which is the correct height where it touches the main house, but too low once it slopes down (about 12 degrees).
3, From there we want to build a second story addition that mirrors the previous additions. This upper space will be a master BR and bath.

My worries are at least two-fold:
Can my existing slab take this kind of weight? If not, is there any way to salvage it without rebuilding th entire structure?

Also, given recent discussions of cost, what would something like this run me? not including the bathroom and bedroom details. Any sense?

For those who want the longer picture, basically we're deciding if we should just raise the floor as it is (bringing it in line with the rests of the house) and add a new roof (at bottom it will have to be raise at least 2 feet)

which one sees to make more sense. we are on a tight budget, but as my dad used to say, my wife recently swallowed a watermelon seed, so in 9 short month we'll have a watermelon that looks a lot like baby.
Any help or tips would be most appreciate.....we are also redoing the kitchen right now....straightforward, but expensive.

THanks do much, any thoughts..??.. mark elmore mkelmore@ucdavis.edu
elmorem@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
I blame ProWallGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourzoo View Post
Howdy,

I just received an estimate range of $125.00 to $150.00 per square foot for an addition shell in the Washington DC/Baltimore Maryland corridor. The addition is roughly 650 square feet, with a studded basement level to line up with my ground level walk-out basement, a main level, and attic trusses on the roof. This cost includes the foundation, "basement" slab, framing, vinyl siding and roof. I'm buying the windows and handling the permits. The addition is a boring 16'x40' rectangle.

Maybe it's time for me wake up and realize construction ain't cheap, but boy this really smarts!

Is this cost in the ballpark or should I keep looking.

Thanks.

r/Tom
Um, are you sure its only 640 sq. ft? Did everyone miss the part about this being a two story addition? Basement with slab on grade or filled slab floor @ 640 sq. ft., main level @ 640 sq. ft....

How did you get to $125.00+ per/sq.ft. price? Did you take the bid and divide by 640? If you did, why did you decide the basement level wasn't additional square footage?
Double A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:10 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A View Post
Um, are you sure its only 640 sq. ft? Did everyone miss the part about this being a two story addition? Basement with slab on grade or filled slab floor @ 640 sq. ft., main level @ 640 sq. ft....

How did you get to $125.00+ per/sq.ft. price? Did you take the bid and divide by 640? If you did, why did you decide the basement level wasn't additional square footage?
You are looking at the original Post from July 2006.

This is a new, non-connected post from another member. We are moving it to it's own thread to eliminate any more confusion.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:38 PM   #4
I blame ProWallGuy

Well shutter my windows and call me closed for winter.
Double A is offline   Reply With Quote