Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2011, 10:03 PM   #1

Share |

Question regarding Paver Stones driveway sub base

Hey all. First post here!

I'm located in Tucson, AZ. Here our soil is a very hard, near concrete substance called Caliche. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliche) .. To give you an idea of how hard it is, it took about 2 hours with a breaking bar to put my mailbox in. My question is this: Would I still need to dig as deep and mix in gravel to do a Proper driveway with pavers, even with this incredibly hard soil?

Oh, attached is what I envisioned as the brick pattern, albeit a bit wider (10ft x 32ft driveway)

Thanks for reading.

Kyle
Attached Images

krwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
Too Old

I do a 1" sand bed with no gravel bed, take your time getting the grade right. Being in the desert you don't want the caliche to have moisture unlike clay this is what I have found out. I have done quit a few driveways, walkways, and patios with 1" sand in the desert and no call backs. Make sure you get the grade right along with a good edge row.

AndyGump (08-18-2011)
Old 08-18-2011, 01:58 AM   #3

Thanks! Glad to find someone with experience in the desert. Would you recommend a plate vibrator, or a simple, manual hand tamper? Are results much better with the automated approach?

One thing I notice is that some folks will tamp the 1" of sand after its leveled, relevelling, retamping, etc.. While others seem to level it out, lay the bricks, then plate vibrate the whole thing. I can see the rationale of not tamping the sand too much as vibrating it afterwards will inset the bricks into the sand better? This is an area where I'm seeing a bit of conflicting methodologies.
krwhite is offline   Reply With Quote