Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2009, 07:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Question regarding adding a stud wall to a brick structure

We are about to begin an addition to the rear of our home. We have hired someone to do the black in and then I will take over once it is blacked in. The rear of the house is brick. The framer told me that he would just butt the stud wall up to the brick and attach it with silicone and some masonry bolts. He told me that he would fur out the existing brick walls in order to hand sheet rock. Is this normal or should the brick walls be removed? What about moisture between the existing brick wall and the new sheetrock wall? If the brick wall remains, what type of insulation should I apply that would be safe to rest against the brick?

Thanks for any advice

jcieutat is offline   Reply With Quote