DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

question on installing stucco siding?

10K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  stuccoman 
#1 ·
My house was bouilt in 1925, with fairly common construction for the time it was built. Originally it was probably wood siding of some kind. At some point a previous owner resided the house with asbestos siding and that is what is still up. My idea is to take off the old asbestos siding (taking the necessary precautions), and put up brand new stucco. I understand that you basically wrap the house in chicken wire and apply the stucco. I assume that is a somewhat simplified explanation but the idea makes sense. Any thoughts or ideas would be great. This project is probably a year or two out, but I want to get started on planning. Thanks.

#4 ·
I am in the middle of a similar project although the weather has not cooperated and it looks like I may not be getting any more done till spring.If the siding that is on the house now is falling apart then best to remove it.I put it over brick and wood (part of the house is brick and the newer part is wood siding) I repaired and caulked any cracks or damaged areas then put up a double overlapping layer of felt paper.Then came the lath.I put it up on all the wood using 1 inch galvanized roofing nails (tip.the tighter and more securely you make the lath the easer the rest will be) The next step is the skin coat which is a fiberglass and cement kind of mix ( base coat then finish coat ) after all that then you apply your stucco or whatever.I am using an acrylic type finish that I think will hold up better in the weather and comes in about 24 different colors and can be roller on depending on the finish you want.Be ready though this is a very time consuming project it wasn't all that hard to do but took a while.Hope this helps and good luck

#5 ·
Along with my original post, possible other parts of this project would be adding an addition of one side of the house, and two, we live in Minnesota, so before stuccoing,whether going over the existing siding or removing it, Iwant to insulate the wall. How might these affect the overall project of the stucco.

#6 ·
When you add the additions all you really need to do is keep in mind the thickness of the wall so it all lines up and you end up with a smoth outside wall.Anotherwords if you build the addition right to the thickness of the preesisting wall then add insulation,lath,skin coat and stucco it will be bulged out and kind of look funny.You might want to leave the end where you will be putting on the addition open so you can over lap the felt paper and lath.From your last post I see you live in Minn. I also live in the north where winter is a major factor for a home finish.I didnt want what 99 percent of the housed around here have so after alot of reserch I chose Conpro Flex it is a 100% acrylic based synthetic stucco that is suppose to hold up butter for harsher climates if you want to check it out through Conproco corpation they give full instructions on instalation .I am not sure this is what your asking but if not let me know and I will try to get it right or at least tell you what I did

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.