Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
long island, NY

Rewards Points: 250

a question I always wanted to ask pro's and weekend warriors who know better....

what brand tools??!!! I mean the basics, like screwdrivers, saws (manual), hammers, circular saws and drills.... also a few multi-purpose tools like shovels, clippers, chisels....

The reason I ask:
I've gone through so many stupid screwdrivers... the edges keep getting chipped . I'm not doing something dopey like using a screwdriver as a chisel... I'm breaking the edges off while tightening screws! I know I must be buying junk and not realizing it! I bet many other tools I may buy might also be poor quality. I try to not buy the cheap stuff, so I'm at a loss. I can't tell quality from junk.

Right now I have a ryobi drill and haven't had any problems with it, then again, I'm not exactly challenging it. My screwdrivers are junk.... and I'm in the market to also buy some saws and some gardening / electrical stuff.

Please advise those who aren't in the know like me....
thanks!

diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
motivator

Rewards Points: 75

a question I always wanted to ask pro's and weekend warriors who know better....

Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:49 PM   #3
long island, NY

Like I said earlier, I'm not buying the cheap stuff.... I try to get stuff on the higher end of the price spectrum at home depot.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:56 PM   #4
Theres more then one way.

Rewards Points: 150

This will not answer your question, but you might find it interesting:
Tool conglomerations, who owns who ?

As for screw drives and things like that, Craftsman might be a good choice if you keep breaking them... you can replace them... at least you could years ago, not sure if they still have the same policy.

_

My current learning experience - 22x22 addition - Work shop, music-room, master bedroom above..
iMisspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:04 PM   #5
Oldguy

For electrical hand tools (wire strippers, screwdrivers, pliers, dykes, Etc,) it's hard to beat Klein. They are available at any electric supply.

ASE certified master auto tech, Retired.
Rehabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:06 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by diy'er on LI View Post
Like I said earlier, I'm not buying the cheap stuff.... I try to get stuff on the higher end of the price spectrum at home depot.
There's a clue
HD has some good tools, but some junk too
I buy Dewalt, Ridgid, Ryobi
Screwdrivers I have so many that if one chips I toss it out
Yeah I'm not sure if Craftsman is the same anymore
Snap on used to have a lifetime warranty too, still do?
I have some Stanley screwdrivers - they seem OK - HD sells them I think
Klein is also sold at Lowes - same quality?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:26 PM   #7
long island, NY

thanks so much for your responses.

this question came to my head when (under the advice of a poster who is a pro mason) I left the home centers and went to a masonry supply shop to get some tammsweld. (I looked like a lost child in a foreign land that morning )

I noticed some really solid looking masonry tools on the wall.... noticably more solid than the stuff sold at home centers. that's when the lightbulb went on. I realized that pro's might not always get their tools of the trade from places like HD or lowe's... and that I was shopping for quality by looking at price tags, instead of knowing what brands are reliable.

I'm glad my ryobi drill got the thumbs-up. Even more telling, my screw driver brand is NOT mentioned... Next time, I'll get one of the brands you mentioned...
Old 07-18-2009, 10:36 PM   #8
long island, NY

imisspell... that was a very interesting thread! I just rented a demo hammer today and thought to myself "man, that's a nice tool... why can't I buy solid tools like that?"

brand name: makita

I'm beginning to realize that tools for the garage are much like tools for the kitchen. It takes a ton of experience to know what is junk and what is good, since marketing often boosts some pieces of junk.

(just learned the other day that viking ranges currently have a horrible repair record, and are not nearly as reliable as a decade ago... and bluestar, a brand I never heard of before (much like makita!), makes a solid high end range... I live and learn...)
Old 07-18-2009, 10:38 PM   #9
motivator

Estwing hammers are great, Rigid makes some serious plumbing tools, Dasco makes construction punches and heavy chisels, Marple's, Bluegrass and Stanley have some pretty good wood chisels, Marshalltown drywall tools. Rechargeable tools like Panasonic, Dewalt, Bosch and a few others, I really like my Makitas. Oh, and Empire levels with the blue vials are pretty good along with Klein or Greenlee electrical tools.

Maybe try visiting some local tool distributors / construction supply houses to get a feel for some decent brands.

Last edited by Speedball; 07-18-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Speedball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:07 AM   #10
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

I use Dewalt and Rigid saws, Husky screwdrivers, Kobalt ratchets, Estwing and Stanely hammers, Rigid, dewalt, makita, and hitachi drills, Rigid shovels, Buck bros. chisels for disposable chisels and narex for good chisels, stanely hand saws (hand saws are throw away for me as I use them mostly for finishing rough framing cuts and would not bring an expensive handsaw onsite).

Dave,
Snap On is still lifetime warranty.
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:57 AM   #11

Quote:
what brand tools??!!! I mean the basics, like screwdrivers, saws (manual), hammers, circular saws and drills.... also a few multi-purpose tools like shovels, clippers, chisels....

The reason I ask:
I've gone through so many stupid screwdrivers... the edges keep getting chipped . I'm not doing something dopey like using a screwdriver as a chisel... I'm breaking the edges off while tightening screws! I know I must be buying junk and not realizing it! I bet many other tools I may buy might also be poor quality. I try to not buy the cheap stuff, so I'm at a loss. I can't tell quality from junk.

Right now I have a ryobi drill and haven't had any problems with it, then again, I'm not exactly challenging it. My screwdrivers are junk.... and I'm in the market to also buy some saws and some gardening / electrical stuff.

thanks!

It all depend on how much you want to spend. For screwdrivers I use Mastercraft, but their not available to you. I have never tried them before but I wouldn't think you would go wrong wit Craftsman if they have a lifetime warranty. sears is good about their warranty and will honour it. For hammers I use nothing but Estwing. Stanley feels wierd to me and nothing else compares.If you have lots of extra money you could try a Stiletto. Not going to guarantee you'll like that either. For hand saws Stanley Fatmax is the best out there. For circular saws wither the Dewalt 368 or the Makita 5007MG. The dewalt is the lightest saw on the market and lacks nothing in features and power. The Makita isn't far behind at only .6 lbs more then the dewalt but the price tag is likely a fair bit higher then the dewalt whichcan be had for $99 if you catch it on sale at the right time. For drills I would recommend either a Makita or Dewalt. 14.4 volt or 18 volt, lithium ion drill . I own a makita 14.4 volt , lithium ion impact driver and drill and it's th lightest you can find. The impact is absoluetely amaxing. It drives screws faster and with way less damage the a drill ever could but a dill is still handy for drilling holes and such. For reciporcating saws stay with Dewalt, Makita, or Milwaukee. Skil, B&D, and all the other companies don't even compare to them. Milwaukee is the best with Dewalt and Makita in about the same place. makit a isn't a huge name in that sector but they do make a fairly good sawzall. I'm not sure about chisels. I use a brand that isn't available to you so it's sort of hard to say. The most importand thing when buying tools is to pay attention the specs, the name , and the regular price(not sale price). a cheap tool is a cheap tool, regardless of who makes it.
joel v. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:01 AM   #12

Quote:

The reason I ask:

thanks!

It all depend on how much you want to spend. For screwdrivers I use Mastercraft, but their not available to you. I have never tried them before but I wouldn't think you would go wrong wit Craftsman if they have a lifetime warranty. sears is good about their warranty and will honour it. For hammers I use nothing but Estwing. Stanley feels wierd to me and nothing else compares.If you have lots of extra money you could try a Stiletto. Not going to guarantee you'll like that either. For hand saws Stanley Fatmax is the best out there. For circular saws wither the Dewalt 368 or the Makita 5007MG. The dewalt is the lightest saw on the market and lacks nothing in features and power. The Makita isn't far behind at only .6 lbs more then the dewalt but the price tag is likely a fair bit higher then the dewalt whichcan be had for $99 if you catch it on sale at the right time. For drills I would recommend either a Makita or Dewalt. 14.4 volt or 18 volt, lithium ion drill . I own a makita 14.4 volt , lithium ion impact driver and drill and it's th lightest you can find. The impact is amazng. It drives screws faster and with way less damage the a drill ever could but it's still handy for drilling holes and such. For reciporcating saws stay with Dewalt, Makita, or Milwaukee. Skil, B&D, and all the other companies don't even compare to them. Milwaukee is the best with Dewalt and Makita in about the same place. Makita a isn't a huge name in that sector but they do make a fairly good sawzall. I'm not sure about chisels. I use a brand that isn't available to you so it's sort of hard to say. The most importand thing when buying tools is to pay attention the specs, the name , and the regular price(not sale price). a cheap tool is a cheap tool, regardless of who makes it.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:11 AM   #13

It all depend on how much you want to spend. For screwdrivers I use Mastercraft, but their not available to you. I have never tried them before but I wouldn't think you would go wrong with Craftsman if they have a lifetime warranty. Sears is good about their warranty and will honour it. For hammers I use nothing but Estwing. Stanley feels wierd to me and nothing else compares.If you have lots of extra money you could try a Stiletto. Not going to guarantee you'll like that either. For hand saws Stanley Fatmax is the best out there. For circular saws wither the Dewalt 368 or the Makita 5007MG. The dewalt is the lightest saw on the market and lacks nothing in features and power. The Makita isn't far behind at only .6 lbs more then the dewalt but the price tag is likely a fair bit higher then the dewalt which can be had for $99 if you catch it on sale at the right time. For drills I would recommend either a Makita or Dewalt. 14.4 volt or 18 volt, lithium ion drill . I own a makita 14.4 volt , lithium ion impact driver and drill and it's th lightest you can find. The impact is amazng. It drives screws faster and with way less damage the a drill ever could but it's still handy for drilling holes and such. For reciporcating saws stay with Dewalt, Makita, or Milwaukee. Skil, B&D, and all the other companies don't even compare to them. Milwaukee is the best with Dewalt and Makita in about the same place. Makita a isn't a huge name in that sector but they do make a fairly good sawzall. I'm not sure about chisels. I use a brand that isn't available to you so it's sort of hard to say. The most importand thing when buying tools is to pay attention the specs, the name , and the regular price(not sale price). a cheap tool is a cheap tool, regardless of who makes it.

Last edited by joel v.; 07-19-2009 at 01:12 AM. Reason: sorry . It didn't want to post before but now it did
Old 07-19-2009, 02:34 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 10

Hey diy'er in LI

Great question, one that i'm sure will help a few members round here.

I have been a Diy-er for 20yrs and have always owned Makita and Hitachi.
I use my power tools heavily as I am in the investment property game. Buy property, fix em, sell em. They have always performed and out performed for me.

I've also worked for a hardware store and at the time was the resident tool expert there. Most tradesmen went straight for Makita or Dewalt. Both professional an reliable tools. Of course these are at the higher end of the price range, but they will do you proud.

If your budget is limited, then stick with Ryobi or Bosch. Ryobi have come a long way in durability and was my recommentded tool for the budget conscious. Most have at least 1yr warranty. Just check to see what the warranty covers as these may vary.

As for screwdrivers and other hand tools...stanley. Crest is aso another good one that offers lifetime guarantee.

Hammers in my opinion is a personal choice, how it feels in your hand and it's balance. I have a $20 hammer which I have had for years and it beats the $80 hammer hands down.

The other thing are drill bits. Never, ever, ever buy cheap drill bits. The metals used are soft and will either blunt or snap. You'll be forever running back and forth to the hardware store for replacements.

The thing to remember is regardless of what tools you purchase, if you use the right tool for the right job, they will last longer. Be sure to maintain your tools. Keep them clean, oiled, greased etc. Love them and they'll perform.

Cheers Marianne
diy-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:49 AM   #15
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Screwdrivers I have so many that if one chips I toss it out

throw away a TOOL???
not me!
the stripped phillips turn into awls,
and the flatheads get re-sharpened or turn into chisels....
i never waste tools....
MOST of my hand tools i get at yard sales and they are well used, though with many, many years of use left..
yesterday (yard sales) i picked up a handful of flat bastard, rat-tail files and a dozen or so used drill bits, razor sharp and hi quality steel.
lots of them i also find along side the road! mainly sockets, but also the occasional hammer, screwdriver, etc.

DM

Last edited by DangerMouse; 07-19-2009 at 07:57 AM.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote